TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Caltracs for Gremlin, DIY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caltracs for Gremlin, DIY?
    Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 6:15pm
Been looking at Caltracs and they don't list them for the Gremlin and even if they did an extra $500 for shipping to Australia is going to be a bit much for me.

Axle centreline to the front spring eye on the Gremlin is around 23", essentially the same as my 69 Javelin, so I'm assuming a set for the Javelin with staggered shock mounts would fit the bill?

If I was to make my own, Speedway Motors has the link rods and Heim joints for just over $100 including shipping. It would be good to know a few of the critical dimensions to build a set for this application to hopefully get something that works as intended.

Anybody got any tips here?
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 9:45pm
I did this on my old '73 Gremlin. You'll notice the 'U' bolt holes in the Cal-Trac piece will need to be slotted to fit the axle tube as they are too far apart.

I used a section of the original lower shock mount plate on the Cal-Tracs.

First I made a template to hold the original shock plate and align the shock stud using a bolt, nut and washer.

I cut the two shock mount tabs off the Cal-Trac piece. Next I bolted the Cal-Trac mount on the template and sized up how much of the original shock plate I'd need then welded them together.

BTW: The front spring bushing that comes with the Cal-Tracs is solid aluminum.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Nov/12/2017 at 9:51pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 10:10pm
I already made these previously, so I'm thinking I may as well keep going.

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 11:02pm
Have you considered plain old slapper bars?   Not as glamorous as Caltracs, but they work.   Look at the engine forum a few pages back for the post on 9.70s at 135mph with Edelbrock heads ... stock suspension with 275 drag radials and slapper bars. 

Old school tech sometimes gets the job done just fine and saves a few dollars. 

Hope this helps,RD
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 12:23am
Don't worry, that is certainly another consideration, getting the bar past the shock mount was the main concern.
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 4:39am
Good morning!

Just out of curiosity...is there the same fitment issue with Hornets?

Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic