TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cal Tracs for Americans/Rogues/SCRamblers/AMX/Jav
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cal Tracs for Americans/Rogues/SCRamblers/AMX/Jav

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 12:26pm

Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

everything I hear about them is very positive.  The lesser traction masters fixed the wheel hop in first and second but it slammed so hard in third that it bent the springs, the axle and springs rotated so far that the pumpkin bumped the gas tank and the pinion hit the floor, all with rear end staying tied tight to the ubolts so it was all spring wrap.  The rear of the car was nearly two inches lower than before I started so I installed some air shocks as an interim solution to get the ride height back to normal.

The 401 in this car is a torque animal and twisted up those springs worse than anything I have seen before.

Dan, don't allow you're pinion angle to go positive, it puts a VERY severe bind on the entire driveline. I have a friend that races a high 10 second Ford Maveric, his 9" ford rear end bent the back of the mounts which resulted in the housing tubes to collapse inward and allowed the pinion to rotate upward. Obviousely it had been going slowely without notice, but finally it became severe enough that at half track all heck broke loose, the binding resulted in the tranny drveshaft yoke and tail housing breaking along with the converter housing exploding. The whole underside of the car became a fire ball which scorched the paint before he could get stopped.

SKeown 
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 1:51pm
Thanks for the heads up Steve.  Will keep that in mind when we install the CalTracs that are coming this week.

For anyone else who is interested in a set of CalTracs, we agreed that I will become a dealer and can save forum members and friends a couple of bucks if you are planning want to buy a set for your car.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 9:24am
Got the rebuilt springs back from Valley Spring here in Phoenix.  These guy are great.  The took the springs completlye apart, re-arched them and added an extra full length leaf all the way up to just before the eyelet bushings for a 1" extra total arch height (I have them add an inch on all rebuilt springs), put all new seperator pads in between each leaf which now are now a total of 5 and they painted them up in chassis black all for $305 inlcuding tax. 

I'll be installing the springs and CalTracs this morning so I can finally take this car out and exercise it to its full potential....can't wait to see how it looks and feel how it rides and drives with all new Prothane bushing all around and now nice taught rear springs and CalTracs.

BTW, the offer for discount CalTracs is still available.  If we get 9 more orders I can offer discount of between 20 and 25%.

Edited by amx39068 - Mar/24/2012 at 9:36am
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 12:01pm

I don't know if Caltrac offers split mono springs for Americans, but on vehicles that accept them they are very complimentary to their bars at appx $300.00. Notice how straight & even that system allows my car to leave, also instead of the rear squatting, it's slightly raised. That's with their adjustable shocks set at about 50/50, so normal shocks is likely all that's realy needed.

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Mar/24/2012 at 12:08pm
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 12:46pm
They told me they could do the Mono spring in 2"
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 12:52pm

I just tried to install them but will need to send the bottom perch plates back due to their being for 2.5" springs rather than 2".  Also, the centering pin hole is too big in diameter so I will send them my factory spring perch plate so they can do them correctly.  

I would normally just drill the holes out to fit but the weld bead for the connector shaft is right at the edge of where the hole would be so I'll let them do it right rather than trash a set of perfectly good plates by weakening the weld bead.
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 11:01am

split mono?

67 american 290/4speed
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 11:05am

I didn't ask but have to call them tomorrow anyway and will ask at that time.

SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 12:21pm

Originally posted by tomslik tomslik wrote:

split mono?

They are two pieces that overlap in the middle, that way the ride height can be altered by choosing from the three different rear arches availiable, normal or + or - 1".

SKeown
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 1:27pm
SK, that was my question (whether they were conventional mono's or split mono's)
anyway, i'm in for a set of cal-trac bars for now..

67 american 290/4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic