TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW M12 Shudder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BW M12 Shudder
    Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 7:31am
Had an issue with my BW M12 (possibly M11B) shuddering under hard acceleration, i.e. at the drag strip. The transmission fluid appears to be full of friction material. Looks like I will be pulling it our for another rebuild, any thoughts on the cause and possible remedy. The transmission hasn't done a lot of work since the previous rebuild.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 7:40am
Bands not adjusted correctly?
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 7:46am
I've only worked on the smaller cousin to that but if the clutches are slipping it kind of indicates the pressure is low. Do they also have rings that contain the oil from bleeding off? Maybe one got broken during assembly. Leaking servo? Crud in the valve body? The TSM probably asks for a pressure check and I would do that before taking it out of the car just to see if it is low and again when re-installed.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 8:06am
It would be handy if the TSM had the correct instructions for checking the pressures in these things. It has probably done 25-30 passes since it was rebuilt and maybe around 1500-2000 miles.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 10:36am
IIRC the TSM does have some pressure checks... look in the troubleshooting section, but also through the "service in car" section.

How much power is in front of it? It should handle a bit more power than stock, but if you think you have over 450-500 hp at the crank that is about the limit. That and running hard combined will kill it quick. Are you running a cooler other than the stock radiator tank cooler? If not you need too! Heat kills an auto trans quicker than anything else, and drag racing will produce a lot of heat. The more it slips (regardless of reason) the more heat and the shorter the life span.

Could have been old stock clutches not stored properly, old stock rubber servo seals that hardened quicker than new production would, bands not adjusted properly, or springs in the pressure regulating part have lost tension over time.

If you're going to race the thing a lot you really need to invest in a later model trans, either a built 904/998 (preferred for drag racing but can be costly), a 727, or a Jeep TH-400 converted to 2WD. Rear drive AMC trannys are getting hard to find, but the full size Jeep Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer was made through 91. The 4x4 trans (TH-400 through 70-79, 727 80-91) can be converted with standard GM or Chrysler parts -- the trannys are the same except for the case and bell -- but has to be torn all the way down to change the output shaft. You probably knew that, just adding for other readers.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 3:54pm
The only problem with the pressure checks is the TSM is based on an earlier transmission only shows one port for checking pressure, where there are 4 on the later transmissions, bit of trial and error to find the correct one. Last time I was able to check the pressure in reverse but couldn't get the adaptor into the other ports to check anything else. If forward and reverse pressure checks are still on the same port then I probably do have a problem.

I've only got around 350 HP, so the M12 should really be up to the task and I didn't want to go through the issue of adaptors to fit something else to the early crank plus making everything else fit and work.

It really would be handy if there was some detailed information out there on building up the BW trannys for performance applications.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 4:34pm
There's an old Hot Rod magazine (or one of the rodding rags) article about it, but it's really an "infomercial" article for B&M. Goes on about a B&M spring kit and converter. You can shim the main pressure spring for more pressure, or replace it with something a bit stiffer. Someone had the number of a hardware store spring that helped a few years ago, but no telling what the current spring is made of. Might not hold up long term, might not even be any stiffer now.. if the same company is even still in business. I didn't keep the number for that reason.

The stuff vinny has been posting on rebuilding his M-35 will work on the M-11 also. They are basically the same trans -- at least the rotating assembly. The M-11 is heavier and stronger, and therefore a little larger in bulk, but made the same way. There are some differences in the VB, but not much. Main difference is the cast iron case vs. aluminum. One of the servos pushes against the case. Too much pressure and an aluminum case will crack in that area. I had one with a defective VB do just that. I'm sure there are other areas the case needs to be stronger to handle more power as well.

Edited by farna - Nov/24/2014 at 4:37pm
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 3:31am
The trouble with the Hot Rod Magazine article is that it does not disclose their "trade secrets" and of course they no longer offer the shift improver kit or anything else. Shimming the main pressure spring seems the simplest option to boost line pressure, but how much, might need some shimming just to bring it back to factory specs after 45 years of use? Too many variables in changing the spring out for something else I think. It would be handy if the TSM included a few more specifications for pressure other than just those for adjusting the vacuum modulator, it would give you something to aim for. 

I spent hours searching the net for information last time I built the transmission and there is not a lot out there.

With mine, I had the bands re-lined, it seemed the lining was thicker than original and I couldn't follow the propper procedure for adjusting the front band, i.e. even with the screw all of the way out, you couldn't fit a 1/4" spacer in the gap.

Also wonder if I might be a victim of type-F fluid, there has been some heated debate over using this in the BW tranmissions and possible side effects. Won't really know more until I pull it out and that might not be for another week or two.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 8:44pm
Dexron is what I ran in my M-35 for 14 years, putting 6-7K miles a year on it.

What you really need is a trans book published by one of the trade publishers. Something like a Mitchell's Professional manual. Would have to be an old one, of course. I think you could go back as little as 82. AMC stopped using BW autos in 72, but a lot would be on the road and needing maintenance at least 5 years later, most likely as much as 10 years after (1982).  I don't have one, but I have seen one in a trans shop. Hmmm... actually, I think it was in the auto hobby shop at Mtn. Home AFB, ID. They had a Mitchell's Professional set for us GIs to use.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 9:48pm
I wouldnt use type F. It will knock the linings off the clutches. On older Fords that have not been rebuilt should use type F. Ive seen where an older Ford that had been rebuilt has to use Dextron, had Type F by mistake, no linings left...rebuild time again....you cannot get the old style clutches.....
Type F can make for harder shifts, but in the end it will damage the tranny.   That B&M trickshift fluid is nothing but type F in a 10 dollar bottle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic