TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW M11B vacuum modulator availability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 7:52am
The "correct" M-11, M-12 modulators do appear on eBay and here on the Forum from time to time.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2017 at 11:40am
Are ther different push rod lengths? the one on a friends 71 Sportabout w/232. was leaking and sucking into the intake. He replaced it with what looks like an identical NOS from his parts stash but now the car won't move.
The new is napa Balkamp 1-4257

Edited by toolmanxiii - Sep/06/2017 at 11:46am
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
sixbangr View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixbangr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2019 at 6:47am
Did he pull the pan to replace it? You have to line the rod up with the vacuum control on the top of the valve body

past owner of 19 Ramblers/AMC's

US NAVY '66-'70
ssbs1972 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbs1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2021 at 5:38pm
I had the same issue.  The diaphragm started leaking on mine.  Couldn't find one anywhere.  Jeff Kennedy (Kennedy American) told me they are no longer available.  I've had really good luck finding no longer available stuff from Blaser Auto 309 764 3571.  I bought an NOS left door latch assembly, an A/T console shift bezel and an A/C thermostat switch that I can remember.  I'm sure I've bought other things as well.

Bill

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2021 at 11:03pm
vacuum modulators can be rebuilt. there used to be kits. you grind the lip off the crimped cover, change diaphragm (probably crimped) and a new cover with bendable tabs attached. There's a place in socal that does them now. fairly expensive.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 1:08pm
Those kits were for the early modulators. I bought my kit from Blasers and it cost me $150 20+ years ago.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 1:35pm
These are very pricy, but I believe they are correct (for pin length 2.942" though?) The Scout 800 V8 came with a Borg Warner 11 transmission:

Should add to this that in the IH world they would change the length of the rod to change shift points. That would make sense for a heavy truck vs light car.

Edited by Trader - Jul/15/2021 at 1:14pm
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 6:14pm
OK, What was told ages ago from AAMCO transmission was the last cars to use that type modulator valve were Lincolns . The continentals in particular . So, you might want to look at the FORD parts vendors as the Ford FMX transmission is a better designed  version of Borg-Warner M-11/M-12 transmissions . Ford fixed a lot of what wrong with the AMC version and I believe that the FMX was used by Ford up until the mid to late 1970s. A few were used on Mustangs too, so the Ford vendors might has some thing. No guarantees , just a suggestion on where to Look. Ford is a bigger market especially if you start looking at latter Mustang parts. LRDaum
LRDaum
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 11:32am
I created a new topic, "BW Borg Warner vacuum modulator disassembly", 

I'm trying to decide if I should install this 2000-mile/known history M8, vs. a ran-when-parked M35 (that is very clean, no leaks from telltale places like selector pivot, etc). I have two spare vacc mods but I now don't trust them -- they don't leak, now, but folding back the diaphragm on this one, which was intact when I started, cracked badly. Not something I'd want to rely on.

None of the FMX vacc mods I found on the net have the long threaded portion, nor the right diameter, nor the locknut that the BW part has, and doesn't have the probe and bellows. Doesn't look compatible to me.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2022 at 5:00pm
 In Australia couldn't find the extension fitting.
Drilled a hole through a 1/2" UNF sump plug and welded it to a 1/2" UNF nut so I got a spare modulator. 
Need to add about 1/4" to push rod length. Fits on spare transmission, not tested yet on running vehicle for transmission shifts..

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic