TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW M11 trans lost 2nd gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 12:10pm
I dont have the measurements in front of me but the M12 has a larger diameter driveshaft yoke than the M11 wich is smaller. Measuring the inside diameter of the tailshaft output would be the quickest way to determine M12 Vs M11.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 9:29pm
Ok, let's see if we can clear this up. M12 should have two bolts holding the front servo and only one on the M11, that should make this an M12 right?

Good news is the pan wasn't full of water but the bad news is the input shaft doesn't turn. 

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/07/2012 at 9:30pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 1:22am
Pulled the rest of it apart, few spots of rust here and there but overall not too bad, needs a new rear band but the front one actually looks ok. Pump is seized, that was why the input shaft wouldn't turn, haven't pulled that apart yet or had a look inside the clutch packs. Should be able to make one good one out of the two with one of the rebuild kits and at least the park brake mechanisim in this one is working because I broke the on in the car.

Might have to see if someone down here can re-line the bands.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/08/2012 at 1:23am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 10:03pm
Doing a bit of research on these Borg Warner trannies, no easy task.
One thing that came up is that having the transmission oil pressure controlled by manifold vacuum via the vacuum modulator means that adding a performance cam will reduce your vacuum signal and hence the clamping pressure on the bands. Might explain a lot of failures in performance applications that could be avoided with a bit of simple adjustment. I know I never checked mine with the new engine.

Seems to be a bit of a consensus that the M12 at least will handle a fair bit of punishment if built right but not really any details on what that entails.

Has anybody dealt with these guys in regard to having the bands re-lined (number 1 in Google)

Or anybody else for that matter. I see a couple of the AMC vendors do them on an exchange basis too.

Would be really great to have a parts list to see exactly what is interchangeable between M11 and M12.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/08/2012 at 10:05pm
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 6:35am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

One thing that came up is that having the transmission oil pressure controlled by manifold vacuum via the vacuum modulator means that adding a performance cam will reduce your vacuum signal and hence the clamping pressure on the bands. Might explain a lot of failures in performance applications that could be avoided with a bit of simple adjustment. I know I never checked mine with the new engine.

Lower vacuum signal will result in higher pressure.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 10:34am
So much for that theory then.

Confused

Man it's hard to get a straight answer on anything to do with these trannys.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/09/2012 at 10:36am
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 9:07pm
I learned quite a bit by reading the AMC TSM.  May not be perfect but no bullsh t either.

Edited by Peter Marano - Jul/09/2012 at 9:08pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 7:31am
TSM is definitely a big help.

Anyway, thought I would drop the pan on the one in the car today and have a look. Only one bolt holding the front servo so sort of confirms that this one is the M11 and the spare is the M12. Defintely some issues with the front band, it's so worn the strut had actually fallen out and it looks like the band is down to the metal with some nice scores in the drum.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 5:37am
Yep, found my problem:

Rest of it doesn't look too bad although some signs of metal contaminating the rest of the friction materials.

Moral of the story, if it starts slipping, stop driving.
meatdogg101 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meatdogg101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 11:40pm
Hello Sir.Do you know where I can get a rebuild kit for my B/W M11?Thank you in advance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic