TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW M11 trans lost 2nd gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BW M11 trans lost 2nd gear
    Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 11:09pm
Seems the M11 in my Javelin has lost second gear. Tranny holds first then shifts straight into top, manually selecting second is like sticking it into neutral.

Just wondering of the kit from Galvins will be enough to fix it or will I need some additional bits:

REBUILD KIT1967-71 MASTER REBUILD KIT FOR THE CAST IRON CASE BORG WARNER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. THE KIT CONTAINS GASKETS, SEALS, SEALING RINGS, FRICTION AND STEEL CLUTCH DISCS, AND BUSHINGS FOR THE FRONT PUMP AND TAILSHAFT.

Would be nice to have the parts on hand before pulling the trans out of the car.

From the TSM:
1-2 delayed followed close by 2-3 shift = a, b, g

3-2 forced downshift slips = a, e, g, t

a = sealing rings missing, leaking or broken

b = front clutch slipping,  worn plates or faulty parts

e = rear clutch slipping, worn plates or faulty parts

g = front band worn or broken

t = rear clutch piston ball check leaks

Kit would cover the clutch packs but front band could be a problem.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/02/2012 at 11:26pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 11:39pm
I have a dismantled M-11 with many good parts.  The front band looks good to me.  It's yours for postage if I can get it out of the case.  It's the one part I had difficulty removing.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 10:11pm
Find an M12 and rebuild that instead...MUCH stronger than the M11's.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 10:34pm
Which models ran the M12? I reckon they would be pretty hard to come by down here in Australia.

Will probably save the pennies for a 727 swap, but would be nice just to get the current trans running again as a short term solution and also a nice learning experience without spending too much money. Haven't played inside an auto before.

Will also give me a chance to see how mich difference just a rear gear change makes before I start messing with the tranny and converters. I reckon it might live a bit longer with the 3.54's at the back rather than the current 2.87's.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 7:37am
Isn't it just a Borg Warner 35 variant? I could be completely wrong but I thought the X series falcons used a trans with the same internals.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

Isn't it just a Borg Warner 35 variant? I could be completely wrong but I thought the X series falcons used a trans with the same internals.

Completely wrong as far as I know, I think the BW 35 or similar was used on the 6 cylinder cars but the M11 that was used in the V8's has more in common with the Ford FMX.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 8:27am
I debated all those things (727 swap) when my M11 broke in my AMX years ago, I had it rebuilt and reverse broke and it started slipping in forward gears within 3 months of daily driving. The car sat for years after that. At some point I wanted to put it back on the road. Found a guy local to me that had a used M12 and had that rebuilt and it has been working great for 10+ years of weekend driving, meaning lots of launches burnouts and high speed cruising on the highway. Changed the fluid ONCE during that time to install a high stall converter, but considering how I like to get on the gas when I drive the car it has been VERY reliable and keeps it more original than if I swapped to a 4 speed or a 727.   
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 9:25am
i have several bw12 cores, i can rebuild one but not sure if shipping it makes that a possible solution.
i am willing to ship it just not sure of costs.

thanx  rick
American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 2:03am
I guess the M12 is certainly worth thinking about then, it eliminates all of those extra little complications of the TF swap, not to mention the associated cost.

I'm assuming it's a direct bolt in. Would the torque convertor and bell housing from the current trans be able to be used? Would help to keep the shipping cost down. Cast iron case is not going to help in this regard. I have a spare M11 here, might stick it on the scales to see what I'm up against.

Raises the question, is the M11 really that fragile and how much stronger is the M12, uses the same rebuild kit so I assume a lot of the internal parts are the same?
RayJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 10:16am
Performance AM Style has an adapter kit for the early bw crank engines, it allows fitment of th350/400 transmissions. Kit comes with adapter, bolts, flexplate and pilot bushing, its a bolt in kit. Im having one shipped now to use on my bw crank engine. Since gm transmissions are pretty easy to come  by in Aus this is the route ill be going. Might be something to consider.

Cheers Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic