TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Buy Swap Sell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 90>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2017 at 11:23pm
Hi mate. Welcome to the AMC Forum. Gary Hunt is a great bloke to chat with is very keen to reproduce some of our rare parts which is great. However I think the 69 lenses are already being reproduced in the US but that's assuming they are the same as our Aussie one's? I am no Javelin expert so someone else may be able to help there.

Try Steve Fripp here in Australia to see if he has any NOS one's- 0477090874 plus any other javelin parts you may need

Kennedy American in the US has a pair (assuming they are the correct one's) advertised for $330US part number TL825

www.kennedyamerican.com

American parts depot may have them www.americanpartsdepot.com

another mob that has lenses advertised http://www.amclives.com/lamps_lenses.html

and there is Galvin's as well may have them http://www.ramblerparts.com/catalog.php

I noticed some of these mobs make brand new front and rear bumper bars now, and tail light housings brand new.

Hope this helps but yeah if they truly aren't available then Gary would be the man to talk too for sure. The lenses he has already produced for AMI Toyota's are perfect as are the decals he has been doing

Or he might still want to do them as may be able to them better and at a better price?

Edited by 70Hornet - May/25/2017 at 3:44am
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 5:06am
I think you're right that 68-69 are the same, including our AMX's. Gary is going to want to know how many can be sold so he can work out production costs. He may even want money up front. This has been the case before on repro items.
And this is where it may fall down.
"Yeah, I'll buy a pair".
"$200 now please, if we get orders for say 25 pairs, they'll be ready in six months".
"Nah, I won't bother, I'll think about it when they come on the market later."

Now to be more negative or reality based.

Toyota Heritage sells Toyota Corona rear lenses for $250 EACH. So let's say the Jav ones are about the same. $500.
The US ones @ $330 - converted @75c = AU$440 + post; so it gets close.

Are we willing to support a local industry ?

Edited by 74gremx - May/25/2017 at 5:29am
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 5:43am
Originally posted by 74gremx 74gremx wrote:

I think you're right that 68-69 are the same, including our AMX's. Gary is going to want to know how many can be sold so he can work out production costs. He may even want money up front. This has been the case before on repro items.
And this is where it may fall down.
"Yeah, I'll buy a pair".
"$200 now please, if we get orders for say 25 pairs, they'll be ready in six months".
"Nah, I won't bother, I'll think about it when they come on the market later."

Now to be more negative or reality based.

Toyota Heritage sells Toyota Corona rear lenses for $250 EACH. So let's say the Jav ones are about the same. $500.

Hi GremX. I cant get onto Gary at this very second to 100% check your reality comments but I am 99% sure the Toyota Lenses are for a pair mate. IE $250 for the pair. Which is pretty good value in my books for lenses that haven't been made, in many cases, anywhere else in the world for a number of years. He even made/sold lenses for the ultra rare Bolwell Nagari's. Rarer then our tin and lots of HAPPY customers that he is thinking of doing another batch. The Hornet one's, although he hasn't costed them yet he thinks will be about $250 for the pair too. Good POSITIVE news for Hornet owners with 70 and 71 Hornets as these lenses are sought after both here and in the US. There is plenty of the later Hornet one's floating around.

Also there IS ABSOLUTELY NO UPFRONT FEE. If he makes them then that's a positive for any car owner with the particular car the part is from

It's great to see someone finally is standing up and having a go and doing a little bit for AMC's and AMI built vehicles. The Toyota (and Bolwell Nagari) guys and girls have been enjoying the availability of some rare items for their cars. I hope us AMC owners are able to show him that we receive the same enjoyment from the parts he makes, and may be able to make and also show him we are a great bunch of car owners who enjoy the same passion for rare vehicles that he seems to.Especially AMI Australian assembled cars   

Not sure how much the Javelin lenses would be if made here but the cheapest set I could find was $330US. So by the time you got them here you would be looking at a bit over the $500 mark anyhow. But again I am pretty sure his prices on the Toyota site are for the pair.

Oh and I better add that there is definitely nothing wrong with GremX's, Quote GremX "negative or reality based" unquote, comments. Comments like that help keep a balance in the force :-) and also can bring out issues on subjects that need to be addressed. Thanks GremX

Edited by 70Hornet - May/25/2017 at 6:08am
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 6:58am
Australian production was 140 x 68-69 Javelins and 24 x 69 AMXs, so that is his market, but obviously there is a bigger market in the US if the quality and price is right.

Edited by WesternRed - May/25/2017 at 7:01am
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 4:44pm
Gary is fully aware of the limited market for Rambler items here in Australia. Believe it or not the early Toyota's he caters mainly for aren't exactly thick on the ground either. But many of the decals he has made so far suit many applications and it hasn't been hard for him to do small runs replacing "Toyota" wording with "Rambler". Plus some of the items cover all Rambler models over certain years so that certainly increases how many car owners may want these items. He even done some "Standard" Motor company items which isnt a common car that has survived over the years

Sensibly I wouldn't think he will be looking at competing with the US market at all. If the Javelin lenses are already produced he most probably will leave that item alone and any others that already being done. Other lenses and parts that are not currently being produced, and NOS supplies have all but dried up, are the ones he is interested in helping out with predominantly. So feel free to ask him about ANY parts and then everyone can quickly do their homework and work out whether they are already available which seemingly the 68/69 javelin/AMX one's are.

Enjoy your AMC/Ramblers :-).

And hope you are enjoying your new acquisition Darren. Hopefully we might see you at the 50th Javelin/AMX anniversary in Albury/Wodonga next year as part of the 5th annual AMC/Rambler show March 17/18 2018 and show off your new lenses :-) They are fun cars to own and there is a lot of owners out there who can help you out. Have fun. Jason :-)

Edited by 70Hornet - May/25/2017 at 5:14pm
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 6:53pm
I stand corrected - the Corona taillamp lenses ARE for a pair (but, a small but, are they the same left and right ? If so, only one mould needed. I don't know Toyotas that well, I could be wrong).

The Jav ones ARE left and rights, so double the cost straight out.

Perhaps we should have a poll as to what lenses we should approach Gary on. What would be the biggest demand ? All have left and rights

1. 1970 Hornet (painted strip type)
2. 1972 Hornet
3. 1968/69 Jav & AMX
4. 1970 Jav
5. 1970 Jav centre reflector

Sorry Rebel, Matador and American owners, I don't think there's enough to make an impact.

I think the 68/69 Jav wins.
1970 Javelin 360/727
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by 74gremx 74gremx wrote:

I stand corrected - the Corona taillamp lenses ARE for a pair (but, a small but, are they the same left and right ? If so, only one mould needed. I don't know Toyotas that well, I could be wrong).

The Jav ones ARE left and rights, so double the cost straight out.

Perhaps we should have a poll as to what lenses we should approach Gary on. What would be the biggest demand ? All have left and rights

1. 1970 Hornet (painted strip type)
2. 1972 Hornet
3. 1968/69 Jav & AMX
4. 1970 Jav
5. 1970 Jav centre reflector

Sorry Rebel, Matador and American owners, I don't think there's enough to make an impact.

I think the 68/69 Jav wins.

Hi GremX. The price of a pair of lenses would be the same regardless of the fact 2 different (left and right) items would need to be made. The "Unit" price would remain the same. For example if it costs $100 to make a lense for a Toyota then it costs $200 for the pair. If it costs $100 to do a left javelin light and $100 to do a right hand Javelin light then it is still $200 for a pair.

Also the $250 for the pair Toyota lenses you talk of that price only applies to a couple of model lenses and MOST tail lights he has on offer seem to be between the $100 to $200 for the brand new pair. I don't know what his business model is, or how he is able to work out the price but to be honest who cares we should just be happy he has offered. Here he is offering to help us out with some hard to get parts. In some cases impossible to find. For example I got a call the other week form an AMC owner who had just put one of his Dulon paint decals onto his car. He was wrapped as the old one was the usual tatty looking one. Up until a few months back that was something you couldn't do. Hearing happy stories about owners AMC/Ramblers and hearing that they are really enjoying their cars is what keeps me ticking with the AMC/Rambler show and helping spread the word for someone like Gary who is essentially helping us enjoy our cars with the availability of some items.   

As for the 68/69 Jav winning that is true but the lenses are already being produced so he possibly wont even look at them now and Darren who just got into his first javelin down in Melbourne can be happy that new lenses are available for his car. (and housings too Darren). This goes for 70 Javelins too I think and there is ample 72 Hornet lenses floating around. Steve Fripp has a heap of NOS one's if you need one for your Hornet. I know there are subtle differences from 72 onwards each year but most come up very regular on US Ebay etc whereas finding a lense for a 70 hornet or if your in the states a desirable 71SC/360 this can prove very difficult, not impossible, but difficult. As for the Rebel, Classic and American etc there still seems to be ample NOS for most of them too. BUT if there isn't then just give Gary a call and also ask on this forum and we can work it all out together.

Edited by 70Hornet - May/25/2017 at 10:21pm
DPS View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 11:36pm
Hi everyone and thanks for your feedback. I did contact Steve Fripp but he advised he doesn't have a great deal of Javelin stock and certainly not the rear housings or lenses.

I have seen the repro's in the US (and started saving) but if we can support someone local I'm all for that. But gee the cost of the housings is frightening! I'll be putting up with my rusted one for a while yet if it can't be restored.

Gary has said he can even do the clear inset - but then we'd need to find the paint AMI used to make them amber. My father was a spray painter/panel beater and remembers having some of this paint himself.

Thanks for the build numbers and schematic, I'll get the measurements and send it all through to Gary.

Cheers
Darren
Toyota Heritage View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toyota Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 6:26pm
Hi all,

My name is Gary Hunt and I am the owner-founder of Toyota Heritage, and we have been mentioned a few times above.

I thought it worthwhile joining this forum and assisting the discussion around reproduction parts, and specifically regarding lenses.

For the sake of clarity regarding lenses referenced above at A$250; this is for the set of two (ie a pair).
This price is based on the RT40 Corona lenses we currently sell: http://www.toyotaheritage.com/index.php/tiara-corona/corona-t40-t50/product/109-tail-lights-1967-to-1969  (trust I am not breaking any forum rules).

I used these lenses as a basis to provide an indicative price for the 70/71 Hornet lenses for the following reasons:
a) they are 'handed' - this means separate moulds for LHS and RHS
b) they have an inset clear section
c) they are around the same overall volume of materials.

I will say that final price will be perhaps +/-10% on the A$250, because until we actually have a lense in our hands we can't be completely 100% accurate on final price.

Our delivery period from the time we take a new project (product) on can be up to six months. To date we have not taken any forward deposits for any of our new products. If this changes we are likely to use a format such as Indiegogo (www.indiegogo.com) where nobody puts their cash at risk. Our decision to do this will only be to help us bring a greater number of products to market sooner and not to remove our market risk.

Last year we launched 120 new products. To put that in perspective, Rare Spares launches 500 new products per year - but using a staff 50 times the size of what we have!

I have always been a huge fan of the Australian Ramblers (dated a girl who's dad owned a Matador and a Hornet,at the same time!), we plan to move more into the 'AMI' space (covering also Triumph and Vanguard). I look forward to support from the Rambler folk.

Best regards, Gary

74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 8:55pm
Good on ya Gary, you've cleared up a lot of questions
1970 Javelin 360/727
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 90>
  Share Topic