TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bulltear Mounts - Trouble on Driver Side

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulltear Mounts - Trouble on Driver Side
    Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 12:15am
Finally installing my 360 in my 69 Rambler.  Still have the 6 cylinder cross member and I bought Bulltear mounts.  The passenger side was jigged up fine.  But there is a flange on the existing 6 cylinder cross member on the driver's side that is interfering with the Bulltear mount installation.  It looks like the flange was designed to help hold the old 6 cylinder engine mount in place.  But the flange turns upwards (facing toward the front of the car) by about 3/8" - 1/2", just enough to interfere with the proper flat placement of the Bulltear mount which when placed flat would stick out a couple of inches or so past that upturned flange.  For those of you who have done the Bulltear mount installation does this sound familiar?  I have attached a picture with my finger pointing to the problem upturned flange.  Seems like the only solution is to cut this flange off so the mount sits flat as designed. 

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 10:09am
Well, from Matt at Bulltear it seems as though someone installed a 64, 65 or 66 crossmember. Apparently the crossmember changed in 67, 68 and 69. All I need to do is grind off that small flange and it will work. Maybe my car is a Frankenrambler, only with AMC parts from different years 😂. As Ollie would say, having AMC fun.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Well, from Matt at Bulltear it seems as though someone installed a 64, 65 or 66 crossmember. Apparently the crossmember changed in 67, 68 and 69. All I need to do is grind off that small flange and it will work. Maybe my car is a Frankenrambler, only with AMC parts from different years 😂. As Ollie would say, having AMC fun.
That doesnt make sense.  alot of the 1964-65 Americans have the 196....which the bulltear mounts wont fit..?  1966 up has 199s and 232s until 1969,  but then that may be production variances ?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 9:06pm
Yeah, strange. But when I purchased the car it had a 66 front grill so I suspect someone was piecing this thing together at one time. But it has the long frame rails and the correct back window, instrumentation, etc. So I know it is a 69. No problem, I will grind the small flange off and the Bulltear mount will work. Luckily, the car was (is) rust free and in pretty good shape other than those oddities.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:09am
Correct Purple -- the 196 mounts are totally different from 199/232 mounts, so the BullTear mounts won't work on 64-65 American crossmembers. The 196 crossmember has no raised perches at all, the mounts bolt flat on the crossmember and sit low on the engine oil pan rail. L-head and OHV mount the same. A piece of 2"x3" rectangular tubing bolted between the 199/232/258 mounts and the 196 CM works great though. That's how I have my 4.0L bolted in (using 258 mounts).
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 10:01am
Stranger all the time. I had a 199 in the car. So the mystery question is what year is the crossmember? It does have another flange to the right that you can see in the picture. It connected a stuctural brace from that flange to a mounting hole in the middle of the strut rod bracket. I am assuming that would have been for harmonics for the 199. There is no such brace on the passenger side. From what I can see it has factory welds so I don't think the perches have been modified. Anyway the small flange/lip is getting ground so I can get the Bulltear mount on. Should fit flat then. I already have used the jig to drill the mounting holes as you can see in the picture.   
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 6:18am
Is it a Canadian built car? There were some subtle differences in those before 1968...

Frank Swygert
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 7:15am
In late 1964 there was a lip on the drivers side motor mount. They started using flanges on some, not all applications.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 8:00am
Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

In late 1964 there was a lip on the drivers side motor mount. They started using flanges on some, not all applications.
that doesnt jive.   1964 Americans have the 196.  your mounts are supposed to fit on 199-232-258 mounts. which didnt come out until 1965.   or am I missing something here?
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 8:48am
Matt....
I can see you are having AMC Fun !!! Isn't it shocking that a 50 year old vehicle has been played with before????

I sure was surprised during the first engine overhaul in my 1966 American that the complete drive train was changed to a 1968. Engine, trans and rear end was all 1968. Its amazing !! Sure pays to decode stuff before you start buying parts and slinging wrenches.

Matt, are you planning on attending the Nov AMC event at Hoover Dam Lodge? We are.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic