TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

budget 258 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2017 at 11:30am
hey, ok, you went the 4.0 route. should be a cool eagle when you are done, now you are out of the "budget" area though. get ready for some fabbing! There are a couple of cool Eagles on the "Eaglesden" site, with 4.0s, check 'em out. good luck, gz
george z
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2017 at 6:51am
He's still in "budget" area -- using the carb from the Eagle. You will need to do a little filing on the "ears" for the intake alignment pins. The 258 intake ears will sit ON TOP of the alignment pins on the 4.0L head. File until the top edge of the intake is even with the top edges of the intake ports. You will also need to make some washers or plates to bolt the intake and exhaust manifolds on. Easy enough -- I used 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide bar stock. Drilled bolt holes, then cut the plate into ~1" sections (bolt hole centered), and ground as needed to fit. Normal washers aren't thick or hard enough! If you can find some oversized grade 8 washers they may work, but still need grinding/filing for a few bolts.
Frank Swygert
TheBirdman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2017 at 9:22am
Well yeah, its not so much a budget 258 rebuild than a budget 4.0 swap now.
Since Im waiting on parts for a week, Ill bolt on both intakes and all the v-belt accessory stuff to test fit them while I wait. One thing Ive noticed so far is that the 4.2 oil pickup is just a little loose in the 4.0 oil pump. Ill probably end up sealing it up with some of the good orange rtv and bolting it on. The salvage yard wants the old block as a core, so Ill make sure I inspect all the differences before I take it to them.

This week break should give me enough time to find some tires that hold air, flush the brake fluid, replace the front driveshaft U-joint, and the right cv joint. I might even cover up some of the rust holes in the floor pans with some aluminum scraps by then.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2017 at 7:11pm
The Eagle has a special oil pan and pickup tube, so keep those. Guess you've noticed that since you noted the tube was a little loose though...  I don't know if I'd use RTV to seal it or not. Try an o-ring that fits over the end of the tube. That should squeeze in there and tighten things up. 
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2017 at 8:25pm
There had better not be enough space for any o-ring....... that's a press-fit as far as tube into pump body. If it's loose, best to expand the tube or "knurl" it. 
An o-ring also increases the chances of the rubber going bad and the tube coming out. It should be hard to get into the pump body. 

The 4.0 oil pump is the same as the 258 oil pump. You can order a 258 pump and it will work fine on the 4.0 as long as it's the correct style. I'm running a stock 258 oil pump in my 4.0.

Here is a link to the post with oil pans compared......
http://theamcforum.com/forum/eagle-spirit-oil-pans-and-pan-interchagability_topic34924.html

This is a 4.0 with a 258 oil pump and the proper EAGLE pickup tube, Eagle pan shown as well..

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 8:25am
Alright, I got the 4.0 in and shes driving (barely). I havent fit together an exhaust pipe yet, so it sounds like a demolition derby car. I have a couple more questions. Do the 4.0 pcv valves work the same way as the 4.2 ones? Where should they go, to the air cleaner, or to manifold vacuum?

Im going to set the timing and hook up the vacuum advance to ported vacuum today, and probably adjust the carb too. Ill probably swing by harbor freight to grab a vacuum gauge first. Ill update with the results.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 8:35am
There is NO PCV in a 4.0 - at least in the 1990's and later.
So you didn't do a full 4.0 swap? Using a standard distributor with advance?
To add the pcv you will need to fit a grommet into the top of the valve cover for the pcv then vacuum hose from pcv to manifold vacuum. Make it look just like your 258 did! It really will be almost that simple except you also need to allow fresh CLEAN air in so need another hole for that with a hose to the air cleaner so it isn't pulling in unfiltered air. Again, make it like your old engine was!

Edited by billd - Nov/16/2017 at 8:53am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 8:58am
Yeah, All in all, I kept the oil pickup, oil pan, v-belt system, water pump (new), intake, carter BBD, and distributor off the 258. Is there a better option for ignition other than the ecu and distributor from the 4.0 (out of the question)?

Also, if the two vents coming off the valve cover on the 93 cherokee 4.0 arent pcv's, theyre just vents, and should be routed to the air cleaner then, right?

Id also like to say that while the engine was out, I did the nutter bypass, unplugged the cec and carter stepper motor to be sure, and removed all provisions for the cec's sensors, air injection, charcoal canister, egr, pcv, and any other emissions measure that relies on vacuum lines. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 9:01am
I would make it like the 258 was, but the pcv valves were rotten and floppy, and partly missing, and the whole 258 vacuum line system was so screwed up, none of it would have worked anyway. If the pcv is out of the picture now, Id like to keep it that way, just to simplify things.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 9:08am
Since you made it carbureted with stock 258 ignition I would ABSOLUTELY add the pcv back, period. The 4.0 didn't have it due to the injection and computer controls making it run very clean. Without that pcv you risk greater acid build-ups, etc.
That is no longer a cleaner running modern engine. You can buy the pcv and grommet easily and find the simple vacuum hose. We aren't talking more than a hose from intake to pcv and another from vc to air cleaner. The pcv should be sloppy. If it didn't rattle, it wad gummed up!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic