TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

budget 258 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 3:48pm
I got a transgo kit ordered, Im just going to take it easy on the transmission until then, then Ill do that, adjust the bands, and the throttle lever. One more weird question while we wait, on the stock radio there is a slider at the top that says nothing on the left side and has the amc logo on the right side. For the life of me, I cant notice any difference in anything when I switch it, and its really bugging me more than it should. What the heck is this thing?
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
AW4, NP242, and EFI from 99 cherokee
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 8:04pm
Either AM/FM selector, or balance.....
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 9:36pm
Right on the selector shaft seal - but beware that Rockauto used to have the wrong part number associated with the wrong seal - as did O'Reilly and others. NAPA was the only place that had the correct seal and number in their books. The others all copied each other. When I ordered seals I got output shaft seals. It's tricky to replace that seal, but it's a common place for leaks on these transmissions. 
I also believe Frank is right on the Eagle and valves - all I've seen on Eagle is the pressure differential switch - on the right side firewall down low. I've been all up and down and crossways on a few Eagles and have not yet seen any valves in the brakes, proportioning, metering or otherwise - only the pressure differential switch. 
TheBirdman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Either AM/FM selector, or balance.....

Nope, am/fm is the slider below the display, and balance is the outer knob on the right
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 6:04am
For transmission repair parts I'd highly recommend a pro level supplier. Sonnax comes to mind, but if you know a good rebuild guy he can probably order for you easily and you will get the right stuff. Depending on the shifter seal condition, there's a bushing repair kit with a high dollar drill bit and alignment tool if the metal of the case is actually worn around the shaft. You'd probably be having a small puddle if that was the case... But, not if you were running low on fluid, which could also contribute to clutch slippage I think.

I suspect band adjustment and shift kit would be pretty reasonable priced if you had it done. You're looking for an old school transmission place, though, not a franchise.

If it were me, the tranny would be the absolute last thing I'd fix on your list! Just keep it filled and drive it until you can't ignore it.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Pdok Pdok wrote:

For transmission repair parts I'd highly recommend a pro level supplier. Sonnax comes to mind, but if you know a good rebuild guy he can probably order for you easily and you will get the right stuff. Depending on the shifter seal condition, there's a bushing repair kit with a high dollar drill bit and alignment tool if the metal of the case is actually worn around the shaft. You'd probably be having a small puddle if that was the case... But, not if you were running low on fluid, which could also contribute to clutch slippage I think.

I suspect band adjustment and shift kit would be pretty reasonable priced if you had it done. You're looking for an old school transmission place, though, not a franchise.

If it were me, the tranny would be the absolute last thing I'd fix on your list! Just keep it filled and drive it until you can't ignore it.

The first thing I did when the car was drivable was warm up the tranny and check the fluid level, so I know its not low. Ill be installing the shift kit and adjusting the bands myself when it arrives. Like you said, I dont think the shifter seal is leaking, because no fluid comes out. As for ignoring it, that just something I cant do. One universal concept is that vibration means wear, wear is bad.
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 9:04am
Hey guys, Im back.
The shift kit arrived last week, but I was busy patching floor pan holes. Anyways, I popped off the trans pan last night and just about got the valvebody out, but I cant figure out how to get the throttle valve linkage arm off so I can drop the VB out. I know the shifter linkage is a clamp on type, and Ive seen pictures of the TV linkage arm so I know how its shaped, but I just cant figure out how it is secured onto the shaft. I probably could if I had an inspection mirror, but I seem to have lost mine. Ill get one today after work and take a look up there, but can anyone here tell me how to get this little bugger off?
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 4:05pm
Here's what you're dealing with, in a better picture from the top.  I'm about 69% sure you have to press out the shaft...?  Google "904 shift selector shaft removal" and you should find something to help better than I can.

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Pdok Pdok wrote:

Here's what you're dealing with, in a better picture from the top.  I'm about 69% sure you have to press out the shaft...?  Google "904 shift selector shaft removal" and you should find something to help better than I can.

Thanks, that helped me figure it out.
Anyways, I got it out, cleaned, and modified as per the transgo TF-2 shift kit, but now Ive got another question.

How should I set this allen screw that controls the stop of the throttle valve? I did some research and it looks like it is for adjusting the idle throttle pressure. A-904 manuals sat to use a tool 5/8 wide to bottom out the TV, then adjust the screw down until it touches the tool, but in the transgo kit, part of the modification is to grind down the stem on the TV, so in effect, it would not bottom out until much later in the stroke. What are you supposed to set this to in a 904 or 998? I have set it to around where it was when it came out, but I cant seem to find any information on this setting after a shift kit install.
1983 Eagle Wagon
4.0 from 93 cherokee
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 12:16pm
That's beyond me.  However, the function of that lever is to increase pressure as the throttle moves, not just at idle.  The on-car adjustment ensures that the throttle reaches full Wide-open position at the same time as the lever reaches full travel.  And, every millimeter the throttle moves is matched by the same movement on the lever. If you increase the distance it moves, you could end up not moving it far enough with the throttle movement.  In other words, when you hit WOT, you could still have some leftover distance before it bottoms out.  I'm thinking that's undesirable, but I really don't have that level of technical knowledge. When I did mine, I actually swapped VB's and avoided the transgo mods that way.  I'd intended to do the TF-2, but found that my shifter shaft leaked anyway, and did the VB swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic