TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

broke a strut rod!! (72 hornet)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: broke a strut rod!! (72 hornet)
    Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 5:08pm
wow, freaky... josh drove over a minor pothole (i drove by it, it's 3" deep), huge >KLUNK<, front passenger side wheel went wogga-wogga... long story short, the strut rod broke clean across, right in front of the front-most bushing retainer nut. no sign of obvious prior damage; no gouge, abrasion, scraping from jacks or tools, etc, in the area around the break. also the break itself is clean all the way across -- i had an axle break once, looked like a fingernail -- one small crescent of shiny metal, the rest dull grey, eg. an old fracture that worked across and let go all at once. this shows no evidence of *anything*, it just seems to have... parted.

front end work was recently done -- new bushings installed -- which immediately makes me suspicious, but the shop is top-notch, knows AMCs, did things right, etc.

all we can figure is that it was stressed long ago, from an accident, car jacked up on it, etc then broke when whacked, either "just right" or timing. (could have been a lot worse, eg. on the freeway).

anyone see this before?

anyone know where we can find one? 72 Hornet 6cyl? they never need replacing so no one's got them laying about. it's a daily driver and out of commission til we find a part, if you've got one i'll pay for expedited shipping.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 8:08pm
that is quite odd?
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 11:00pm
The strut rod is exactly the same one used from 1971 through to end of production on the 2 whd cars except for Pacer  and are interchangeable side to side.
I have one, do you want it?

CORRECTION.
They are not interchangeable side to side. Forgot that sitting two floors above the garage. 

Edited by uncljohn - Jul/24/2014 at 11:22am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 11:03pm
I've seen them break before. Usually, you've got to be pretty hard on them, doing something really stupid or using polyurethane bushings, but like anything man-made, it's designed to fail.

Like you say, it could've been a lot worse. Play the lotto tonight! Glad to hear you're OK though.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2014 at 4:08pm
The Eagle ones may even be the same. They lowered the brackets on the frame a couple inches for the lift.
SportaboutX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2014 at 7:29pm
San Diego has similar terrible potholes. Look into it, the city may cover the cost! In San Diego there is a form you can fill out, and attach the bill for repairs, pics of the pothole and damage to the car, and 4-6 weeks later you have a check. Not all places are this nice, but can't hurt to check. 
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

all we can figure is that it was stressed long ago, from an accident, car jacked up on it, etc then broke when whacked, either "just right" or timing. (could have been a lot worse, eg. on the freeway).

anyone see this before?

anyone know where we can find one? 72 Hornet 6cyl? they never need replacing so no one's got them laying about. it's a daily driver and out of commission til we find a part, if you've got one i'll pay for expedited shipping.

Those strut rods are over 40 years old, and with all of the twisting, bending, and flexing they do it's not really surprizing they brake when they get old. If you are worried about that happening again or just want to upgrade you should look into the strut rods that Joe got for his former SCCA AMX. They pretty much eliminate the flexing (bending) problem by eliminating the rear bushings (that fights the rest of the suspension) and replace it with a pivot point. This will greatly reduce the stress on both the strut rod and the frame bracket. 

I don't think Joe will mind me posting this picture of his new strut rod.

I'm using a simular design on my AMX, but they might not work as well without upgrading your lower control arm to something like Control Freaks tubular arms. 

Dennis       

Edited by THE MENACE - Jul/25/2014 at 4:07pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 6:44pm
Maybe the nut was overtorqued since it broke in that spot?
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 7:03pm
It's 45 years old and been a lot of miles and goes through monkey motion when the suspension moves, takes all the shock of hitting pot holes and stopping the car from any kind of speed and pretends it is a pivot point.
I'n surprised more of them have not broken.
But they haven't they are roughly 3/4 in thick where the thread starts.  There is no finesse to the part it is crude and brutal.
But for the most part, it gets the job done.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 10:03pm
Did you use poly strut rod bushings? With Fords using poly strut rod bushings is a huge no-no. It is known to cause the strut rod to snap at the bushing.

I haven't heard of this problem with an AMC before, but is a very common problem on a Ford if poly bushings are used.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic