TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake rotor suggestion for machine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 3:07pm
There are a few versions of the later single-piston Bendix calipers:

75-78 Bendix with 3.1" single-piston sliding caliper, 1.19" thick rotor, 1 1/8" bore master, Set A16/A17 bearings (these are the "big" bearings)

75-78 Bendix with single 2.6" piston sliding caliper, 1" bore master, 0.88" thick rotor, Set A16/A17 bearings 

79-81 Bendix with 2.6" piston sliding caliper, Set A2/A6 bearings (the same bearings used in all years except 75-78).   Expect this is what you have and was used on Concords.   Most Spirits used a smaller diameter rotor, not sure caliper?

82 up used a GM floating pin-mounted caliper

Hope this helps,RD
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 7:19pm
I think you easiest solution is I'll swap you a nice set of vintage correct Torque Thrust wheels for your Machine Wheels, I know it'll work as they were on our 73 AMX Wink.

70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 7:30pm
I really appreciate all the responses and information. I replaced the original Timkin bearings with the same only new. “Set 2” for,the outer front and “set 6” for the inner. Then got them all together and the wheels on. Here is what I have for brakes. I do have to figure out the year.

Now I don’t like the way the front sits. Too much space in the wheel well. Maybe taller springs were used somewhere in the past. Right now the center of the wheel well opening is just under 28” off the ground. Anyone know what is should be?

Edited by michaelp - Jan/21/2018 at 2:10pm
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 7:39pm
After a little digging. Looks like they are from a 1979 concord or similar vintage. Is this a satisfactory solution for this car? One real good thing. The rotors are cheap and readily available.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by michaelp michaelp wrote:

After a little digging. Looks like they are from a 1979 concord or similar vintage. Is this a satisfactory solution for this car? One real good thing. The rotors are cheap and readily available.
I don't see why not. They were on the car and working before so why change?

I have 83 Concord setup on my 70 Javelin in place of the leaking 4 piston setup.
I also have 76 Gremlin setup (pedal & master too) on my 70 Javelin drag car and it stops just fine too.

If you want anything better? it will have to be after market.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Keith Knox View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Knox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 5:15pm
I’ve got everything you need off a 70 Machine ... message me if you still need it
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 5:46am
Can you get the wheels and center caps to fit correctly without the dust caps on the rotors? The dust caps look a bit tall and bubble shaped compared to the ones on my 68 Javelin.

When mounting some Australia ROA mags on my 85 Eagle the tall dust caps got in the way of the center caps. Found some shorter ones in the help! (Doorman) display at the local parts store and also hammered them a little bit flatter. The rear was a different story. The axle nut got in the way. A 1/2" spacer and longer studs was the solution there. I ended up not using the center caps on the back.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic