TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake rotor suggestion for machine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 10:27am
Thanks to all that chimed in on this one. Here are pictures of all the parts I have. From what o can tell, I have newer rotors, but Bendix calipers, and 1970 machine center caps. So how do I get these wheels on this car with the least amount of pain?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 12:59pm
Yes, you have newer Bendix brakes, which look like the "big" bearing ones.
As was mentioned, you might first try to see if a good machinist can cut down those center hubs.

If you want to return to the original 4-piston Bendix, you'll need brackets, backing plates, calipers, and complete rotors-Joe's recommendation on the Centric rotors is good, but you would need the matching hubs and new correct wheel studs pressed in.

If you want to go back to the originals, put a WANTED ad in here, and I'd bet someone who has upgraded to newer brakes would have a set to offer.
As a final thought....is it possible that a SPACER would solve your fitment problems? The orignal rotors actually were fitted with a spacer! There's a chance that might do the trick!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 6:56pm
Ramblinrev, I like both your ideas about cutting down the outer forward edge of the rotors, and adding a spacer. Not sure how thick I could go with a spacer, until I can’t safely get the lugs on. Any ideas?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 8:03pm
Just a ball park figure that the 'spacer' built into the original 4 piston brake rotors is about 1/4".

Edited by ramblinrev - Jan/20/2018 at 8:21am
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by michaelp michaelp wrote:

.....The center protrudes too far outward and interferes with the center cap....

Will the wheel fit up correctly with your current centers removed?  If so, there may be a chance that the later center caps would clear the hub.  I have a set of the later caps that I'd trade for your earlier set if you are interested.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 4:45pm
That is not the correct hub for a '70 Machine. Here's what the correct one looks like:

You can see the hub casting has a taper in it's diameter. Perhaps you could have yours machined to accommodate the center cap.

-Steve-
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 10:36pm
The big bearing brakes have a bigger hub for a reason. I would guess trying to machine to a smaller size would weaken them to the point they might not be safe. Engineers redesigned the center cap for a reason.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 9:56pm
The saga continues. I guess this is what to expect when working on a 50 year old car.

I had a slight taper put in the rotor to work with the 70 retainer caps. All is looking good, so I started to replace the bearing this evening and get the front wheels back on the car. I hammered out the bearing races. Went to install the new races and no matter how I tried I could get them to start in. Took a good like at them, took notice of the numbers stamped into them, and compared them to the races I removed. They were bigger. I have the Bendix rotors, but the bearings in the rotor are for the non-Bendix caliper. When comparing my rotors to pictures, my rotors look like the Bendix version and not the other. I am a little confused. Is it possible the previous owner use the wrong bearings? Why would they fit and not the appropriate ones? Anyone had experience with something like this?
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 8:04am
ramblinrev said you have the big bearing Bendix brakes. Does that mean the bearings are larger in diameter or height?

BTW: The original Machine 4-piston brakes are the Bendix type-E.

-Steve-
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 8:26am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

[QUOTE=Rebel Machine]ramblinrev said you have the big bearing Bendix brakes. Does that mean the bearings are larger in diameter or height?

BTW: The original Machine 4-piston brakes are the Bendix type-E.

-Steve-

Beyond my pay-grade! Can someone who knows those '76-77 brakes chime in?
Go to the RockAuto.com site, where you can compare bearing sizes.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/american+motors,1976,hornet,5.0l+304cid+v8,1004522,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing,1672
If you look at Centric bearings, you'll see KH-Kelsey Hayes, and Bendix ones listed. When you click on the picture, the measurements for each are there.
Maybe you can figure out what bearing was on the car from that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic