TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake rotor suggestion for machine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake rotor suggestion for machine
    Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 7:08pm
Does anyone have a recommendation for brand or source for a new set of front rotors? I am removing the weld racing wheels off of my rebel and wish to put the factory rally’s back on the car. While attempting to do this today, I discovered the current rotor set would not allow for the original wheels to seat on the lug studs. The center protrudes too far outward and interferes with the center cap. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Also, I have new center cap insets for the machine wheels, but not having any luck in getting The old ones out. Have anyone just gone over the original?

Thanks
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 7:28pm
Tell us what disc brake set-up is on your car. Sounds like they've been changed from the original Bendix 4-piston? I would think a different brand of rotor would have the same center 'hub' fit. 
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 7:35pm
I will have to look, as I did not see anything else odd. They calipers appear stock.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 7:39pm
The machine wheels were also used on 71-72 cars that had different brakes. They used a different center cap to clear the different rotors.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 8:57pm
So maybe he has the newer Machine center caps, creating a fitment issue with the '70 rotors?
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2018 at 9:11pm
The 70 caps would cause fitment issues if he has later brakes. The retainer is different also, the sides of the cap and retainer are straighter on the 70 caps. They have a slight bulge for 71-72. This was done because of a clearance issue on the Kelsy Hayse brake rotor.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 5:13am
After looking at the rotors and comparing to parts pictures on the web.  I think the brakes have been changed to a newer later year.  What parts would I have to secure to change back to the original 70 parts?  The 71/72 have the studs on the rotor whereas the 70 looks to be a two piece design.  Returning to 1970 would be preferred.

I suppose the other would be to try and find a set of centers with retaining clips for a 71.
Thanks

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 7:33am
You could also remove the rotors & have the "cone" portion turned down on a lathe to fit the early 70 Machine wheel retainer & center cap. That would probably be the cheapest way to go, provided you know someone with a lathe.

The reproduction Machine cap inserts I've seen are low quality, not something I would use. Lettering not raised, background not spun, wrong size, color way off. Instead, I refinish the originals. You'll need blue anondize spray paint, masking tape, lacquer thinner, & a new fine line black Sharpie marker. Clean the entire cap with thinner, mask everything but the center insert. Spray one light coat of blue anondize spray over the center, let it dry for a day. Use the black Sharpie to color the letters & gear.

Practice spraying the blue on the bottom of aluminium cans to get a feel for how to spray to get the look you want. If you spray a cap & don't like the look, wipe it off with a rag soaked in lacquer thinner & try again. One light, even coat is what it takes, two or more makes it too dark.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 9:23am
I'd recommend making sure what you have.  Check the casting number on the inside top of the cap.

3198522  1970 Machine Wheel Centers
3211392  1971-72 Machine Wheel Centers

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 9:56am
If you are using 4 piston calipers use these rotors...Centric Rotor - 121 63049

You can get them on ebay for about $40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic