TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake Prop Valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Prop Valve
    Posted: Jul/18/2016 at 7:06pm
Hello. Does anyone know where I may be able to find a proportioning valve for my 71 Matador?
New would be nice and using another brand would not bother me at all.
Thanks, Mick.
71 Matador 360/Auto
77 HZ One Tonner 350/T400
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2016 at 7:09pm
if 74Matcoupe or any other parts guy doesnt pop up with an item, you can use an adjustable one by any speed shop.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 5:04am
I bought this type of Wilwood adjustable unit (P# 260-11179) from VPW.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wilwood-260-11179-Brake-Proportioning-Valve-Knob-Adjustment-3-8-24-in-Inverte-/322154633655?hash=item4b01e999b7

Otherwise I reckon google or ebay GM brake proportioning valve and you will find something to suit your needs.

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 5:36am
Hi Mick. Is it the proportioning valve you want or the brake differential valve? I always get confused as the one in the engine bay is usually the brake differential and although looks technical is just to give you the warning light if things go bad for the front or the back. Or I might be wrong Smile. My Hornet has a HQ brake differential valve fitted in the engine bay. And my actual HQ then has a round Prop valve under the chassis. The Hornet has a funny shaped brass rectangular thing under it too which I am thinking is the prop valve. The adjustable one's mentioned are apparently the way to go there.  

Edited by 70Hornet - Jul/25/2016 at 5:41am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 6:48am
The proportioning valve you finf in the rear line (also know as a pressure limiting valve). The funny shaped brass rectangular thing and the round one are just different versions of the same thing. The one AMC used from 68-70 looks like this:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/valve-rebuild-kh-multi-prop

This is the differential pressure switch (puts the dash warning light on if there is a pressure imbalance between front and rear as mentioned above), it was used for all 67-70 cars and 71-73 cars with drum brakes apparently.

In 71 AMC went to a dual purpose differential pressure switch and proportioning valve on cars with front discs that looks like this:

I'm not sure if this version carried though to 74 and/or if this type was used on Australian assembled cars, but there are plenty of generic options for this type of valve. The Wilwood one I posted previously just has the added benefit of being adjustable, which you may or may not need.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/25/2016 at 6:57am
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 7:39am
I have NOS like the rusty last pictured one...The still sealed AMC box say Matador or Ambassador and I have never been able to reference as there is a group number but no part number, Bob Reno in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 8:02am
The photo of the rusty one referenced a 71 Ambassador.

Looks like there is some variation in the valve based on application, not sure what happened after 72.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 8:59am
Classic Performance has generic ones available. We have used them before as a replacement for the cast iron KH version. I am just not sure how available they would be in Oz. They offer them in disc/drum and drum/drum configurations.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-pv-2/overview/

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
mick gill View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2016 at 10:36pm
Hello and thanks for all the replies.
As it turns out, my brake issues are a combo of a couple of issues.
My master cylinder turned up its toes, so I bought a dual outlet job. When this was fitted, it was decided to change the pushrod as well. As it turns out, this rod is too long, not letting the piston in the mc to return home.
Also, all of my brake lines were full of crud severely restricting the movement of the fluid. I've previously flushed and bled on numerous occasions.
As it turns out, new front brake lines (and the factory pushrod)were the only way to fix this. Luckily I live in a small town which has an old school mechanic or two who work from home after retiring.
Thanks for all your help forumers, the old Matador will have all 4 brakes working by this arvo.
71 Matador 360/Auto
77 HZ One Tonner 350/T400
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic