TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

brake lines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brake lines
    Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 10:34pm
I've encountered a little snag in my wheel cylinder replacement, the brake line itself. I cannot get the nut to budge and dont want to strip it either. So I was thinking I'd replace the rubber line and have fresh hardware to use. mount the brake line into the cylinder then mount to the other brake line, so much so straight forward application in my opinion. where can I get brake lines for my 65 Classic? V-8

Mark
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 11:08pm
I am in the middle of replacing my entire brake system. Got many of the parts from a vendor here named AMERICAN PARTS DEPOT. Also got a few components from Rock Auto.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 7:44am
The right tool for that is called a flare nut wrench. If it doesn't work you might have to replace lines back to where you can get one apart. Use a good penetrating oil like Kroil so the line will free itself from inside the nut. 
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

The right tool for that is called a flare nut wrench. If it doesn't work you might have to replace lines back to where you can get one apart. Use a good penetrating oil like Kroil so the line will free itself from inside the nut. 

Yep! Those lines and nuts can be tricky, get the right tools first. But, if you do strip the nut head there is always a pair of vice-grips. This is from experience. I now have the right tools.   
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 11:30pm
Vinny was correct, the flare nut wrench worked perfect!

Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 1:49pm
Excellent!
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic