TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake lights "frown"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake lights "frown"
    Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 8:10pm
ok so if you can help me with this one I would appreciate any ideas. 
74 Javelin. 
A few people have gone out of their way to inform me that my brake lights dont work. I thought they were just being silly.. Old car and all. I thought the old bulbs and the old car just didn't light up like the new ones. 
Finally I went out with someone and asked them to observe and see if the lights got brighter when I hit the brake, and they didn't.

What I did next,
I went under the dash with a test light and made sure all the fuses were working. They were, except for the dome lights ones.. long story short it came unplugged under the hood by the brake booster. and its working now. 
I put new bulbs in to be sure. it didn't help.
I took the test light and tested the plug that goes to the brake switch and it doesn't have power to one side. it was getting dark or I would have ran a jumper wire from the battery to the plug just to see if it was the switch ounce and for all.

The question that lingers is "why dont one of the wires have power?" one pink and one green. I traced them back to a bundle of wires under the dash. 

Where do they go? can I check another fuse, plug, source, to find out why they dont have power.? Then if it doesn't work I can deduct that the problem is the switch.

and yes, I tried my tests with the key on, and with the car running.

Please help where you can.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 8:31pm
IIRC you should not need the key or motor running for the brake lights to work.
Now you should have 1 side of the switch with power (hot) all the time with out pushing the brake peddle down. The only time the other wire will be hot is when the peddle is pushed. That is if the switch works as it should.

Now that 2nd wire that is hot when pushed goes up thru the turn signal switch then out to the rear lights.
So get out your test light and recheck the wires at the brake light switch to see if both are hot when peddle is pushed as they should be.
If not replace the switch.

If both are hot then you need to look at the turn signal switch. Sometimes you can use a electrical contact spray on the switch and work the switch and all will work. If not then you will have to replace the switch.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Casey View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 8:40pm
at this time I dont have power to the wires going to the switch. I need to get power to one of them.. Im not sure where to go to check that..
after I get power I can address the switch.
any ideas on where to check for power to the wires?
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 9:12pm
Casey,
Not sure if related to your problem, but when my wife's 1974 Javelin was restored, the brake lights would not come on.

The problem was the Turn Signal Cam on the steering column.

Best Advice I Can Give You...."Buy a TSM as soon as you can"....

Edited by dltowers - Mar/27/2015 at 8:11am
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 12:52am
Casey, I'm taking it that you don't have a TSM. You should purchase one as soon as possible as it will become invaluable. If I'm not mistaken the green wire at the brake light switch will go to the fuse block and the pink goes to the steering column. Most AMC fuse blocks are marked what the fuse is for. Look for one marked STOP-TURN SIG or something similar. Pull that fuse which I believe is a 9a. and clean the contacts. There should also be a large push on connector where your green wire should be. Pull that connector off and clean the contacts. Ensure that the green wire is secure and there's no corrosion. Hope this helps.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 8:06am
Rockland good call on pulling the fuse, I would pull them all, and clean the fuse ends and the holders. It does not take much corrosion to stop the power from going thru the fuse. That was a big problem on my 70 Javelin project.

As pointed out look for a fuse marked as stated and after cleaning check if you get power thru it. Then move on to the spade to see if it has power as some have had issues with the fuse block rivits coming lose.
Good luck
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 7:06pm
Here Casey, this should help even though it's for a 73. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service%20-%20rescan/index.html
The wiring diagrams for the whole car are at the end.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Casey View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 9:59pm
I will hit the link and look right after I send this. I used my light to check all of the fuses and the block on both ends just to make sure everything was working. The fuse closest to the passenger side that sits verticle doesn't have power to either side. I sand papered all of the connections where the fuses rest yesterday before I posted. What is a TSM? I don't think I'm going to tear the column off. That's way beyond what my daddy taught me.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 10:18pm
Hello Casey, The term TSM refers to Technical Service Manual, below is a photo of the main 1974 TSM on the left, and the 1974 supplement on the right. 
You can usually find them for sale on Ebay:

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Casey View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 10:25pm
oh.. I have those. its just hard to read paper graphs when I am looking at wires with my eyes then go to the book it gets confusing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic