TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcguy1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake booster
    Posted: Jun/21/2019 at 3:57pm
my brake booster on my jav took a crap,I am having alot of trouble finding one,is there any other booster that will work,on a 1970 jav with drum brakes?
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2019 at 4:33pm
Try  the AMC vendors, American Parts Depot, Kennedy American Inc or Galvins AMC Rambler parts.

From the APD site

68-74

AMX, Javelin

Brake Booster - reman (for drum brakes) CORE CHG: $250.00   

984 0001C

$189.00

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jun/21/2019 at 4:35pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Amcguy1970 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcguy1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2019 at 6:08pm
I tried galvins,he has a listing for a brake booster for a 1970 with a v6,drum brakes,I have a v8,drum brakes,not to sound to dumb,but will the v6 version work?I cant imagine a difference 
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2019 at 6:44pm
V-6 has to be a typo.  No V-6 in '70.  V-8 or inline only.
Mike
Amcguy1970 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcguy1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 6:27am
I'm sorry,that's what I ment,6 cylinder,but I'm wondering if they are still the same booster 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 8:27am
I'm venturing a guess that an inline 6 engine in a 70 Javelin has the same booster as a V8 70 Javelin.

The APD listing doesn't differentiate between the I6 and V8 for the booster application
THE CHOP SHOP View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE CHOP SHOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 8:42am
I had a cardone on back order with Summit for 4 months then saw on here someone say eBay had them. I was skeptical but ordered on Sunday had by Friday. 
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 8:46am
Sent mine off and had it rebuilt took about 3 weeks
green70AMX
Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2019 at 3:06pm
I was at a car show and noticed a mid 70s Corvette with an aftermarket booster that looked identical to the AMC booster. I went to Corvette Central and looked at the part. Turns out there are "bendix" boosters that are the same except for the input pushrod shaft and the master cylinder mounting surface, only AMC seems to have the pushrod with the "eyebolt" end that attaches to the pedal linkage assembly. The Master cylinder mounting surface on some of the boosters have a "recess", the AMC is flat faced.

I have noticed that one of my power boosters is much more sensitive on one of my cars. The booster was from my stock parts. Quite possibly this might be a drum brake power booster, if there is such a thing, since it is a bit touchy and locks up fast with the disc  brakes .
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 2:05pm
An AMC drum brake booster is a single diaphragm unit.

The disc brake booster is a dual diaphragm.

Hence two different listings at APD for boosters.

I converted the White70 front drum brakes to disc and purchased a dual diaphragm booster to replace the single diaphragm drum booster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic