TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Brake Booster/MC Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Booster/MC Leak
    Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 2:12pm
I've gone through around 3 power brake boosters and 2 master cylinders looking for a good fit, and I thought I had found a good setup but now after trying to bleed the brakes, I have found a pool of brake fluid on the car beneath the master cylinder and booster. It's a new master cylinder so I cant imagine it would leak but I'll be taking everything off, and checking for what's wrong. The vaccum like had no brake fluid in it so it wasn't sucking fluid, but somehow it was leaking. Master cylinder is from RockAuto, power front disc rear drum, and the master cylinder is from autozone, I believe the 9" single Diaphragm, I think I might try part number 80142 from power brake exchange.

Edit: For a 1973 Amc Javelin, thank you.

Edited by CoffinMaster - Oct/18/2018 at 2:23pm
1973 AMC Javelin AMX, 360 727
1970 Mercury Cougar, 351C AOD
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 2:22pm
You might want to add the model and year of the car you are working on!
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 11:36pm
did you bench-bleed the master cylinder? if you don't, the cups can folder over inside and leak.

that said, i too have got bad (very old) master cylinders from RockAuto. just the style we AMCers like. i think my next one will be a Willwood simply because it will actually be new.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

CoffinMaster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 4:12pm
I'll rebleed the master when I take it all out, I'll see if it folded over, as far as I know it was a new master cylinder, but I'll be going over both that and the booster, hopefully the 80142 part works, does anyone else know of a correct booster?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 5:45pm
After a lot of searching for a correct booster I've not been able to get a very solid idea. Tue 80142 model is only sold by power brake exchange and I'm not sure if I can get it, and theres quite a few other models from advance auto that are "correct". Has someone used a new booster and possible still know the part number? After looking at mine again it's meant for front drum and I need front disc.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 6:11pm

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-54-73105?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-cardone-industries&gclid=CjwKCAjwgabeBRBuEiwACD4R5uqkgtLL54j-HjwwfxIM8fIh6xJzHts0ZdQBNwLnnvVW1LuIYUPLoRoCAcwQAvD_BwE

Cardone isn't always first in quality, but this is the right booster. It should be readily available. The booster, however, is not likely causing your MC leak.
Cardone 54-73105 booster.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 8:23pm
Yeah, I know its not causing the leak, but I just wanted to make sure I had the right booster on there. I'll be looking at my master cylinder after, to see if the cups flipped or if there is a defect.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by CoffinMaster CoffinMaster wrote:

Master cylinder is from RockAuto, power front disc rear drum, and the master cylinder is from autozone...
There's the problem. New master cylinders are not bad, but A1 Cardone rebuilt ones are pretty bad. Same goes for A1 Cardone rebuilt brake boosters.

A master cylinder leaking brake fluid back into the booster will kill the booster quickly. 

I've started rebuilding these things myself or sending them off to businesses that specialize in rebuilding them. I've had better luck that way. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 2:12pm
As far I know it wasn't sucking into the booster, I think just leaking, as there was no fluid in the vacuum line. However I wouldn't doubt the lackluster quality of cardone parts, not my favorite to order from.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic