TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner Trans Won't Downshift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddonzella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg Warner Trans Won't Downshift
    Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 9:44am
Had my original 1969 Borg Warner 3 speed automatic rebuilt. Transmission won't down shift. Could that be vacuum modulator on the drivers side of the transmission? Appreciate the help!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 10:27am
Could be the governor. Id take it back and tell them its not downshifting
ddonzella View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddonzella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 10:33am
Thank you!
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 4:40pm
There is an electric downshift solenoid on the passenger side. Single wire goes through the case just above the cooling lines. Switch is triggered by the throttle linkage on the fire-wall.
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 8:25pm
More info may help. What engine & transmission?? Won't downshift when you floor the accelerator, or won't downshift when you manually pull the lever??? How does it function otherwise???
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 9:08pm
If you're talking about forced kickdown at WOT then it's either the kick down solenoid in the trans. or the switch. Up to 68 the switch was on the throttle linkage at the firewall. Stating in 69 it was a switch on the top of gas pedal bracket inside the car. The same switch was also used by GM on some models. Look for a dark blue wire at the firewall, engine compartment side, below the wiper motor. This is the 12V switched feed to the trans. solenoid.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ddonzella View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddonzella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 4:08am
Ok, now the question of the day. Where can I get the kickdown switch that's on the gas peddle or the solenoid in the transmission? Kennedy American does not have them....??
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 6:59am
GM used a similar, if not identical switch on some of their cars in the late 60's and early 70's so you may find one through a GM vendor. You can test the kick down solenoid in the car by applying 12 volts to the feed wire. You may be able to hear it click if the car is not running or you can rig up a test wire and test the kickdown while driving the car. i doubt that the kickdown solenoid would be electrically bad since it has such a short duty cycle. If it flunks the electrical test then you'll need to drop the pan to see what's going on. It's possible it was not reconnected internally when the trans was rebuilt.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 7:17am
If you need the gas pedal switch, send me a PM I have good one from parts car.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
ddonzella View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddonzella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 12:01pm
Ok Guys,

I have an update. The kickdown switch circuit is blowing fuses. I tested the kickdown switch and it conveys 12 volts to the outgoing side of the switch and doesn't blow a fuse. When I connect the solenoid lead to the transmission case it blows the fuse!! So tell me if I am doing this correctly; I then check the solenoid connector for resistance. When I touch the positive lead of the solenoid sending unit with one ohm meter lead and I ground the other ohm meterlead to the transmission case the ohms zero out indicating no break in the circuit which means I have a dead short correct??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic