TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner T-35 (probably shot)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 1:55pm
I think 71 is still the old bolt pattern so 727 is out of the picture. You should confirm that. 72 and later are the same bolt pattern as the later V-8's AFAIK.

Northwest transmission and Fatsco sell parts.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 2:13pm
I have T-35 parts (valve body and servos) plus hardware I will give you for the cost of postage if you need them.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 6:44am
The postal Jeeps used the old bolt pattern engine for a few more years than cars. Some of them had a 727 behind an old bolt pattern 232, so it's not out of the question, just a hard find! The 727 was an option when the big Jeeps used a 232 also, prior to AMC buying Jeep (65+ Kaiser Jeep used 232s in the FSJs). I wouldn't use a 727behind a 232 unless I had no other choice though -- takes a lot of power. Later model (72+) sixes used a 904 or 998 for HD applications (Eagle 4x4 used 998, so did CJs, only 2WD cars used 904). That means getting another motor, but 72+ sixes are pretty easy to find. AMC pattern 2WD trannys are harder to come by! The 4x4 trannys can be changed over using standard Chrysler parts (pletny 2WD Chrysler trannys around!), but the trans has to be totally disassembled to change the output shaft.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 9:15am
In the previous century I used to hear the expression back in 02 but I wasn't around then. I can say that back in 66 I bought a 58 Ford with a transmission in the trunk. Previous owners couldn't get the T/C into the crank because unbeknownst to them the engine was from a 55, which would have used an air cooled T/C and a smaller hole in the crank. No problem, I took the T/C to the machine shop to cut the knob off. Then I dropped a pipe inside the same diameter as the crank hole and welded it into the T/C, followed by welding a cap on it. Worked great.

When changing over from one type to another sometimes you might need to get creative, but in your case I'd say the easiest bet is to get the B/W fixed.

That old Ford transmission was probably a B/W derivative and it served me well, although I don't remember if it was iron case or not. Probably was

The used M35 I put in my 64 Rambler 30+ years ago is also still serving me well. IMO they are adequate behind a six cylinder and if you can get a good overhaul it should last for years.

wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 10:54am
I wonder if M40 is a drop in. post on parts wanted section
they were used in 290s
theres probably tons of those
out there for cheap or free.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 8:45pm
AFAIK it is. The M-3x and M-4x are nearly identical. All  the 4x have provisions for a liquid cooler, though some may have been air cooled. You can bolt a liquid cooled only model to an air cooled bell, but must have the air cooled bell and converter if air cooling -- and the cover plate for the front of the bell. Without that plate the fan on the converter doesn't work right and the trans will overheat. I'm not sure if the converters interchange, but they should.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic