TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner T-35 (probably shot)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 10:36am
AMC autos transitioned to the Torgueflite automatic trannies in 1972, but your 1972 casting number block and the fact that you have a BW tranny means that you have a special bellhousing.  Your block should be capable of accommodating a torqueflite tranny.  AMC 904 trannies are pretty common so that's what I would look for if you want to get away from the BW world.  I suggest that if you find a torqueflite, that you also get the shift linkage and kickdown linkage that came from the same car or Jeep.  Jeep pretty obviously did something special for the Postal Jeeps. 

BTW I have a 1972 casting block (same casting number as yours) that is built up and is going into my 76 Gremlin and I know it has the later bolt pattern.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 7:25pm
I think Joe is right. For some reason AM General continued using the BW trans for a couple more years. possibly at the request of the postal service (ease of maintenance?). So a TF trans should bolt up. That doesn't mean it will be that easy though. The flange on the crank may be different. There is a raised ring on TF crank flanges. 63-71 six crank flanges are perfectly flat IIRC. So the TF flexplate will likely bolt on, but may not center correctly. You'll have to look at the end of your crank to figure out if that is an option, otherwise you'll end up replacing the crank to get the transmission you need, or buying the adapter made for V-8s -- that should work. There is a bolt-on adapter (around $200) and one that requires machine work on the crank (crank removal).  You can get a good crank for the six for about $200 though.

Functionally all the M-3x and 4x trannys are the same. Yours is a 4x due to the year (3x were only made 63-69). Rebuild kits, many hard parts, and procedures are identical. The liquid cooled ones have an extra tube under the valve body and a different torque converter and bell housing. Those are the only major differences... discounting number of clutches/steels and strength of materials used.
Frank Swygert
postdoc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 10:23am
Thanks for all of your replies, fellas. Not good news on the diagnosis, though.Dropping the pan revealed more "glitter" than a new years eve party and metal shavings in all the fluid. On the positive side, the valve body and tubes look OK. So now it's decision time...
I can either rebuild the M43(T-35) or look for a replacement. I'm wary of a replacement because, without a dynamomometer test or unless I pull from a running vehicle, it'll be a crap shoot. Even then,tranny health is a matter of fate, right? Rebuilding myself (I wish...), paying a hobbyist (no warranty), or paying a shop (more money, but ATRA warranted work) are the other options. I'm leaning toward the shop and am willing to bite the bullet if only because I can't stand the thought of this vehicle being parted out or sitting in a yard forever. Being a 40 year old mail jeep, I expected to spend money up front to get the steering gear box, king pins and brakes up to snuff. I didn't count on this, but that's life. I think I'll look for a 258/A727 combo down the road if I can buy the vehicle right. When it's time to make that swap, I'm sure I'll be seeking your advice again. In the meantime, I'm going to get the broken/worn parts and study them with the TSM so I can learn for the "next time."
Happy new year, all.
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 12:10pm
Your trans may not be as bad as you think. Since you are here in the Phoenix area you are in luck. We have a very active AMC Car club here, the Cactus Cruisers AMC. One of our Members, Scott Dregne owns the AAMCO Transmission shop at 6033 W. Bell Rd., Glendale, AZ 85308, 602-843-2443. He has a really great builder and they know AMC's. His prices are pretty good also. It is worth pulling the unit out of your Jeep and taking it to his shop for a tear down to see what parts are needed.
We have our next Club meeting (Our Yearly Holiday Party) coming up 1/5/13. At Dan's house.

Edited by 17tamx - Dec/30/2012 at 12:16pm
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 3:30pm
Look at the bands and drums. You may need to drop a servo so you can rotate the band some to see the drum. If the drum isn't scored too badly the trans will be pretty easy to rebuild. It's not a hard one to rebuild yourself, just one or two little tricks to it. If you ever thought you might want to rebuild an auto trans yourself, this would be the one to try it on!
Frank Swygert
jmhackney View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmhackney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 12:23pm
Farna has it all figured out the right way. Do what he says. That will give you a better understanding on how to go from there. The BW transmissions are easy to rebuild.

postdoc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 8:35pm
Thanks, Fellas. I'd never considered rebuilding a transmission myself. To be honest, It's never been on the radar, but I'm pretty sure it's above my skill level. This one is probably just going to have to left to the pros, which despite being pricey, will give me a lot more peace of mind. I'm going to try to handle some other projects (upgrades)on my own if I can find someone willing to show me a thing or two, but since I'm a complete novice, I really appreciate all your advice. Kirk: I'm way, way on the other side of town, but I have a friend whose uncle runs a shop that's also well regarded (knows old BWs too). I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm looking forward to getting out to some Cactus cruiser events.

Edited by postdoc - Jan/05/2013 at 10:05am
jmhackney View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmhackney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 12:41am
I never rebuilt a transmission before. I decided to do my m37 myself. I did do it just fine. It cost me $250 to have in all done myself. That was just the cost for parts. After I took the BW Transmission apart. It was way easier now to have a spare to take apart alongside to have a reference to look at.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 3:51pm
If you can rebuild a motor, even a Briggs & Stratton, you can rebuild any of the BW transmissions. You need a manual and a good clean place to work. Helps if you have time to do it all over a couple days (pull trans one weekend, take apart/reassemble the next, and plan on two long days - a three day weekend is better, put back in another weekend).

There's a neat trick to getting the sealing rings back in the center support -- let me know if you change your mind about building it.
Frank Swygert
Westborn View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 12:05pm
I have a 71 with T35....leaking like a dog and sounds like a clicking sound when going 20-30 mph...throwing it in nuetral noise goes away. Has anyone switched one to a 727...postal guy John in Texas said that was a better bet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic