TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner T-10 code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg Warner T-10 code
    Posted: Apr/04/2016 at 11:17pm
Looking for a rebuilt T-10 for my 1969 AMX 390 w/ Hurst shift.   
I've found one being offered as "Borg Warner Super T10 AMC 4 speed transmission with a 2.20 1st gear ratio. This transmission is a close ratio with a 10 splined input and a 28 splined output- four Groves on the Input. Has a 904 nodular iron case".

Case T10P-1B     L 12 68 - Date Code

Tail # T10P-7A. Has Q2 Stamped under Tail Number

It has a 1 year warranty. Is this the one I'm looking for?   Advice?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2016 at 11:26pm
Probably a misprint on the ratio, same with the "super" part.  T10P is what my original is stamped, like most of them I believe. The date code may or may not be correct, if yours is a late production 69(indicated by the Hurst shifter), it could be a bit early.

Chris 
clanofwolves View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clanofwolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2016 at 9:51am
I'm delving into the same world of somewhat confusing info that surrounds the Borg Warner T10's

This is a great site with a plethora of useful info:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc-transmission-rear-end-decode.htm

Dave
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2016 at 10:21am
The only code that really matters is the metal tag that is held on with a main case bolt. The cast numbers don't really tell you anything of value. You can look at the rings on the input shaft for some feedback on ratio, but that isn't always a reliable method.

AMC didn't use the Super T10, so again bad info there.
AMO Newsletter Editor
Brian View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2016 at 11:42pm
Thanks for all the info.   I'm thinking the safest route may be to just have the old tranny rebuilt & re-installed.   Here is a link to the rebuilt one I referenced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-BORG-WARNER-SUPER-T10-TRANSMISSION-2-20-CLOSE-RATIO-1-YEAR-WARRANTY-/291417575960?hash=item43d9d75218:g:UlkAAOSw-7RVFbuX&vxp=mtr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic