TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg warner M 12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firesnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg warner M 12
    Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 12:11pm
Hello all, I'm new to the forum but have been a fan for a couple of years. I'm restoring a 1968 AMX, factory 390 automatic. The M12 shifts to 2nd in the first ten feet of travel then shifts to 3rd at about 20mph. In the process of
changing fluid and checking for damage, I somehow LOST the modulator valve pin! Can any one give me the exact length of that pin so I can fabricate a new one?? Thanks
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 3:56pm
There were 2 different lengths depending on the style/vintage of the modulator.

Edit: Did a little research. The rod is 2.944" for the small modulator, 3.444" for the bigger modulator.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Oct/11/2017 at 4:03pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
firesnow View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firesnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 6:48pm
Thanks for the great info and a prompt reply. It appears I do have the large modulator valve. Approximately 5, inches long. Does anyone have a cross reference number for O'Reillys or AutoZone if I need to replace this valve? Thanks again for the help!
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 6:57pm
Hopefully you will not need to replace the modulator as they're scarce.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 11:18pm
It'll upshift too quickly when the main line/throttle valve pressure is too low.

Running the trans like that will increase slippage and reduce durability.

On your trans the vacuum modulator controls ('modulates') the throttle valve in the valve body.

Your AMC TSM tells procedure for how to adjust the vacuum modulator 'by the book'.

There are DIY ways to adjust your trans but familiarity breeds contempt so we will not have that discussion in public.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic