TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bone stock 360 potential?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 1:43pm
I have had many a 304, 360 and 401 with just using a cam and some bolt-on parts make great power. My first 304 was in a 73 Javelin. Stock bottom and heads. I added long tube headers, comp 268H cam kit with new lifters and chain, 2.5" dual exhaust, performer intake and holley 650 vacuum secondary. The results were pretty stout. I remember more than one time embarrassing guys in their mustangs and camaros. I really liked that 268H grind but any similar cam would be comparable. The only thing that I changed from the 304 to 360 was using the torker intake and 650 carb with mechanical secondary. I ran this same basic configuration in two 304 motors, two 360 motors and one 401 with the only difference in the 401 being a 750 carb and the torker. I wished the air-gap had been available back then as it would have been a better choice than both the performer and torker intakes.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

This combo with headers, 280H cam, Torker, and a 750 Holley would be really fun.

Actually Rick... your post about this engine made me start thinking about this again! So thanks a lot! Haha... I just can't get this stuff out of my head lately! Also.. I was really glad to see you are going to be working with a Holley Fuel Injection kit too! 

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Feb/15/2019 at 2:32pm
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 2:31pm
Thank you to Ken, Fuzz, Rick, Shootist... and anyone else who responds.

So what kind of numbers can someone expect? I have read a lot of posts... many of which are going for higher HP/TQ numbers... not many people talk about the numbers for an OEM type budget build... and I think that is primarily because the numbers aren't their first concern and that their primary goal is just having a good dependable engine.

Shawn_Watson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 2:48pm
My crazy arse would be inclined to do the cam like probably no one else, lol.  Being that it doesn't have the compression ratio to justify a bunch of duration, I'd keep it at maybe 214* at .050 but tighten the lobe centers up to a 108, heck, a 107 LSA and set the intake centerline around 102 to 103.  Cams done like this tend to hit pretty hard.  That early ICL really drives the torque up on a lower compression engine.

Being that it doesn't have the cubes nor the rpm to build any real velocity in a single plane intake, I'd use an RPM Air Gap and see if I could find 1 5/8ths, long-tube headers that hopefully have 2.5 inch collectors.

That's just me though...

Shawn
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 3:09pm
Numbers are hard to say in this type of build but I would guess that a 20-30% increase over what you started with is probably a reasonable amount to expect but I reiterate that is purely a guess. more flow = more power and by changing the items people are mentioning here you will increase how much you can get to flow through the motor. 
MattsGarage View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattsGarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 3:47pm
I run a 360 with cast replacement pistons. Really low buck. 270 magnum cam. Performer intake and 600 performer carb, and hedman headers. Just a spare part throw together, and while I don't have power numbers, it's a nice little street engine.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 5:05pm
I was running a 360 with basically stock internals and Crane H-272-2 (272/284 adv, 216/228 @ 050, 484/512 lift 112 LSA 1800-5400 RPM) cam, managed to get it down to 14.0 @ 98.4 mph (with a wiped exhaust lobe too). Changed to cam out for one that measured 298/302 adv, 232/238 @ 0.050", 510/510 lift, 110 LSA (was a regrind so identity unknown), dropped me back to 14.4 @ 98.7 mph, basically killed the bottom end and didn't really add anything up top, proving the bigger isn't necessarily better.

You can wade through my exploits here http:////theamcforum.com/forum/stock-360-output_topic91270_page13.html I initially thought the engine was stock, but it turned out that the cam had been changed out for the Crane one above.

Definitely upgrade the springs with any cam change as that will give the engine the potential to rev out without bouncing the valves. 

Engine is now rebuilt with the same bigger cam, 10.5:1 compression, backyard porting job on the heads, Torker intake, 1 5/8" headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake and decent convertor. Has now run 12.0 @ 112 mph. Changing the exhaust really released it's potential after all of the other engine upgrades had been done. Probably would have got a bit more out of the original combo with a decent exhaust on it.

Edited by WesternRed - Feb/15/2019 at 5:07pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I got excellent results with my stock 73 304.

Changed from single exhaust to dual, and replaced the 2bbl intake and carb with an aftermarket 4bbl spread bore and 650 cfm carb to match.

Stock cam, but I guess a 360 would do well with an RV cam and similar setup, for great city economy and added performance combined.

So what aftermarket intake allows you to use a spread bore carb on an AMC? I'm at a loss to name one.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Changed from single exhaust to dual, and replaced the 2bbl intake and carb with an aftermarket 4bbl spread bore and 650 cfm carb to match.

Stock cam, but I guess a 360 would do well with an RV cam and similar setup, for great city economy and added performance combined.

So what aftermarket intake allows you to use a spread bore carb on an AMC? I'm at a loss to name one.
Offenhauser made some at one time. The Equaflow and the Dual Port were also available as spread bore.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

I used a Offy 360 single port. I assume they are rare, and are single plane. Because I knew a 650 cfm carb was a bit big for the stock cam 304, and the intake its self was made for 360 and 401, I needed to use a spacer to compensate, along with smaller squirters and jetting. A 360 should handle a 650 cfm carb well enough without changes to the carb, as done with mine.

As a note... the spacer / heat blocking plates that I used allowed for customising hieght, but I managed to fit all of them with a spacer for the stock throttle bracket. Any higher the stock throttle would not work properly, as the lack of extrs length would pull and bind.

I had to use the included adapter ring to mount the factory air cleaner setup, which added another 3/4" to the total height. Luckily I had a 74 AMX hood at the time, as i am sure the stock hood would touch the air cleaner lid.

All the perf peeps tried talking me out of the combo, but once I finsihed the setup, the response and power had greatly improved over just having the dual exhaust on a stock 2bbl 304 engine. Before the change, the front would barely raise while rolling at 20 mph during a hard acceleration stuck in 2nd. After the change, it raised as if my engine had suddenly lost 170 pounds. This was back in 1990 at the time, and I had swapped in a Dodge 2.76 rear end, so gearing was not the best for off the line performance.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic