TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BMO GREMLIN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 9:45am
During the process of disassembly i discovered that one of the leaf springs was broken. When i removed it the front spring eye had a piece broken out.  It was still in place but just sitting there and you could tell it had been that way for a very long time. So before i ordered springs i got a tape measure and went to work and took measurements of a 90 wrangler. All measurements came out the same. We had a wrangler with 2.50 rancho lift springs. Right away I'm thinking big tires here we come. Got them installed and i really like the way it sits. Another thing i did was put the 8.8 in. I used one from a 88-93 ford ranger. Cheap and plentiful because everyone wants the explorer disc setup. I wasn't concerned about disc brakes or the difference between 28 and 31 spline axles. The width came out perfect.  With 275/60/15 on 15x8 wheels they come right to the edge of the wheel well.  
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 9:05pm
Another thing i discovered was a flywheel from a 90 4.2l wrangler.  The trans is a 3 speed torqflite and it uses the little high torque Mitsubishi starter. To the flywheel down to the engine builder here in Spokane and had it match balanced to my original flywheel. 50 bucks for the flywheel and less than 50 for a new starter online. Works perfectly. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 8:05pm
Today i got the harness, brake lines and the motor back in. Black on black with chrome. I think i can live with this. It will look much better with the htc headers and the shinny champion aluminum radiator. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 8:42pm
This is what i refer to as my girly motor. 77 304 has cam dont know the specs but idles in gear about 750. Cast iron non egr manifold with 1 inch spacer 1406 eldebrock carb htc headman headers duraspark distributor. Trans is 904 with factory high stall conver and 308 gears. Probably not best combo but sounds good. Trying to use up stuff I've had on hand forever to get her going. Hopefully i can start driving and enjoying it while i am putting the 401 together. My javelin amx budy at work thinks some day its gonna pull the left front tire but i dont think so. Lol. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 8:48pm
Small update on the gremlin. Today got one of the parts cars all blocked up and high enough to crawl under. Managed to get the column out. Found my key chain that has about 200 amc keys on it. After trying over half found one that turned the ignition. My car was a 6 cylinder converted to v8 with factory amc stuff. However i don't have a fuel line that comes off the driver's side. Well as luck would have it one of the parts cars has the 2.0 L in it. Fuel pump is on the drivers side. Gonna use it for a pattern to make one out of 3/8s fuel line so i shouldn't have any fuel delivery problems when i put the 401 in. Trying to plan ahead sure makes my head hurt. Lol. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 11:11am
Yesterday i got most of the engine compartment wiring done. The harness from the 77 4 cylinder parts car is going to work just fine. Alt and starter wires are right where they need to be. I already made a stand alone harness for the duraspark box and distributor. So far so good. If the dash and interior wiring goes as good i will be really close to firing the old girl up. My only hold up will be making a stand alone harness for the oil and amp gauges I'm adding to the third hole in the cluster. I sure like the look it has. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 11:30am
I'm enjoying following your project. Keep up the good work! Would love to have a Gremlin myself some day.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 1:01pm
Keep moving forward. Regardless of how minor the task may be, it's still progress.

I don't believe there is anybody on the Forum that can't relate to the feeling you will get when you finally "fire the old girl up". Good luck.

Rick

I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 7:55pm
It's raining today so i didnt pull the dash out of the parts car i made the steering column instead. Took three to make one but was glad i had everything. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 7:59pm
My wife is very happy to see me finally using stuff that I've collected over the last 30 years. And that i don't have to buy stuff!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic