TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BMO GREMLIN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 10:47am
Then i began the joy of starting on the body. My compressor won't run a sander so i have hand sanded this whole car so many times it ain't funny. I actually enjoy the sanding the most. Just me the radio and sandpaper. I can do it all day. After it was all bare metal i block the whole car with long boards and circled every imperfection with a sharpie. The roof had that light surface rust so to make sure it was all gone i used prep and etch.  Spraying it on with a squirt bottle and keeping it wet with paper towels. It worked great.  Next step was to make a skin coat. I used b body filler mixed wirh fiberglassresin till it's like pancake batter. Covered the whole car. Block the whole car back out with 80 again. The right quarter was the most beat up and i redid it three times before i thought it was ok. Next moved on to theprimer.  Benjamin moore super spec p06 gray primer. Brushed on then knocked it down with a 4 inch foam roller. Ran the roller over it 4 to 5 times every 30 minutes or so. Then the next weekend wet sand with 500 and blocks. The Sunday reapply primer. Did this 5 times. Car in primer so moved on to other things. .
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 11:09am
During the intermission i began to play wirh test panels and getting the mix right consulting the BM field representative. We got the mix down and the BM guy couldn't understand why I wanted a clear coat because the paint we are using has a 85% gloss rating. I told him that i wanted a little extra insurance against paint protection when putting this back together. He understood and said fair enough. However he couldn't recommend anything since benjamin moore didn't have one. So i was on my own. After tons of research and many hours on boat restoration sites etc here is what i came up with. Deft polyurethane gloss clear. Tech sheet said it was approved for use above the water line. Time for experiment. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 11:17am
Test panel
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 2:23pm
One of the little things i played with off and on between sanding was making the instrument cluster. I really don't care for the 2 hole gremlin cluster i really like the 3 hole hornet and later gremlin ones. I didn't want a tach in the third hole like everyone else does. So i modified a hornet one by cutting up 79 wagoneer one and gluing the two together so i can mount the jeep gauges in a hornet bezel. So i have a gremlin with a jeep cluster. 
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 2:59pm
What kind of paint did you use?

1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
FritzF3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FritzF3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 3:07pm
AM I correct about you roll or brush your coatings on? You don't spray?
Fritz
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 8:17pm
The test panel was all spray. The car itself all primer was rolled on. The orange on the car was sprayed. I will in the future have to wet sand and spray the clear. The paint i am using is a alkyd urethane maintenance coating from benjamin moore. This paint can be rolled brushed or spray. That was the principal behind me going with this system. Its basically single stage boat paint. It has an available hardener which i use and i have been using and exterior alkyd urethane clear approved for use above the water line. I live in whasington and we won't be far behind California. So most regular auto type paint can't be rolled with good results and dries to fast to roll. So all i can say is some might say it's isn't done"right" but it works for me. Lol
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 8:21pm
The paint type is called super spec alkyd urethane p-22. The primer is super spec p06 gray metal primer. The primer is hard to get off of bare metal with a wire cup brush on a grinder. I have more details over at body and interior under the heading never straight enough. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2019 at 8:40pm
Here's what I am using. Ppg and sherwin willams also offer a alkyd urethane. I'm using benjamin moore because the other two guys didn't understand what i was trying to do. The minute i said i was painting a car they came up to the counter with here's what ya want. The benjamin moore p people said okay that will work show us pics when its painted. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2019 at 10:21am
Before i painted the orange i decided to redo the engine compartment. One or two little imperfections a guy could live with. I was out in the garage just looking at it and found another spot i didnt like then another an other. So commit time. Well took the motor back out and stripped the engine compartment back down. In the mean time i also decided this car was gonna get a shadow mask type paint scheme. So when i repainted the engine bay its now gloss black. The sides and top of the fenders and hood will be gloss black. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic