TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

B&M torque converter question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&M torque converter question
    Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 7:49pm
Hey guys, called B&M technical support, told em I have a 74 amx with 401 and 727 and they asked about cam numbers etc and they told me I needed a 10415 trq conv. I get the converter and it has a starter gear welded to it... so I called them to discuss and ended up with someone who didn't seem to know what to do as they have no application for AMC he says all of there 727 converters have the starter gear. and I'll have to use their flex plate.....but he cant tell me which one Soooo I call summit...guess what...they don't have a clue either. both places said there are only two flex plates to choose from but they are both for Chrysler crank bolt patterns. So, what say you??? do I grind the welds and remove the starter gear from the torque converter and use my flex plate? or use their flex plate? and if so, does anyone know which one?? thanks for looking and any advice you might have.

Scott
xfactor View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 8:32pm
I bought one from them this summer nice part works good

Pioneer Automotive FRA125 - Pioneer Flexplates

Click here for more information about Pioneer Automotive FRA125 - Pioneer Flexplates

Flexplate, Steel, AMC, Non-SFI, Each

(1)

Part Number: PIO-FRA125 More Detail...

Estimated USA Ship Date: Today 
Estimated International Date: Tomorrow

$50.9

Ray Harper 69 AMX 401
xfactor View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 8:37pm
They also sell converters for AMC'S ,some one doesn't know there catalogue very well  .  Found both on line real easy when I needed them
Ray Harper 69 AMX 401
SCOOBY View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 9:03pm
thanks XFACTOR, but I need a little more info...are you also suggesting that I run two starter gears? as stated, the B&M converter already has the starter gear welded to it. I assumed tech help at b&m was suggesting a flex plate that had no gear...
xfactor View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 10:32pm
AMC converters have no ring gear that converter is for a dodge. they sold you the wrong one
Ray Harper 69 AMX 401
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 11:47am
It can work. They sold you a mopar converter. the starter gear is smaller than the amc. If I remember correct< i think I used one washer between the flexplate and converter. I did it to use a hi stall mopar I got cheap. The only thing to check is the bolt size that is used.
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
SCOOBY View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 12:47pm
Just got an email from B&M telling me that I need to return the torque converter as it will not work and they don't have anything for my application. and they told me to buy a TCI...wow
SCOOBY View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by xfactor xfactor wrote:

AMC converters have no ring gear that converter is for a dodge. they sold you the wrong one

what if I ground off the welds? is the rest of it the same? splines and other dimensions?
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 1:23pm
yes the basic converter is the same as far as splines and hub size. I would check the bolt holes that bolt the converter to the flex plate, stock is a 5/16 hole some performance converters are 7/16. I am not sure how easy it is to enlarge the ones on your current flex plate.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 8:58pm
Yes, you can remove the ring gear and any weights that are on it and use it.

74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic