TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Blower Motor Relay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blower Motor Relay
    Posted: Jun/03/2015 at 7:21am
I see references made to a blower motor relay on a/c cars.  This seems to be separate from the resistor box mounted on the firewall above the blower motor.  Can anyone tell me where this mounts or perhaps share a photo of it? Thanks! 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2015 at 7:24am
Cameron,

Blower Motor relays are only on later cars then yours. a 69 AMX/Javelin only has the resistor "cage". 68 cars had open resistors mounted below the blower motor with a pin style connector...it was a good change they made in 69!!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2015 at 10:10am
Thanks Ross! I was hoping it was for the later cars.  Looks like I might have everything I need lined up then. :-) 

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 1:33pm
How good is your resistor as far as appearance, lack of rust or oxide, etc.?

They can be refurbished in SOME cases...... this one was really rough, the terminals oxidized, the shell starting to corrode.
The terminals here were replated with tin/zinc for good conductivity and corrosion protection and the shell was plated as well. It could be finished a more dull finish, or polished if someone wanted it OVER-done.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 2:10pm
Mine cleaned up pretty easily with a wire brush.  Looks more or less like the one in your photo now.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 3:01pm
Good. Sometimes that is about all it takes. 
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 9:34pm
Anybody check the resistance value on the 2 resistors? I don't have one of these factory resistor pack on my 70, I have a couple of resistor sets that I think I can make a close copy. Just gotta to know the correct values for starts.  
SC
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2015 at 10:44pm
They are more current limiters, more like a ballast resistor. They heat up and the more load, the more heat and more resistance. You won't get much resistance at all using a VOM. What little "current" a vom would present would pass easily. 

You could measure voltage drop across the terminals with the fan running but it still won't be quite the same. You'd have to also watch the rated value of any resistor you were going to use. 
A wire-wound would fair better than a typical carbon resistor. There's going to be some amperage through it - and heat generated That's why these are wire and vented. 

The EEs here can tell me how right or wrong I am, or if I'm even close. 
(EE = electronic engineer)

These come up on eBay not all that infrequently and someone here is likely parting a Javelin or AMX that has one.
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

How good is your resistor as far as appearance, lack of rust or oxide, etc.?

They can be refurbished in SOME cases...... this one was really rough, the terminals oxidized, the shell starting to corrode.
The terminals here were replated with tin/zinc for good conductivity and corrosion protection and the shell was plated as well. It could be finished a more dull finish, or polished if someone wanted it OVER-done.

Getting ready to apply some elbow grease to my blower resistor.  Any secrets on what to use, or just elbow grease, scotch brite pad, and all purpose cleaner? Figure I would clear the housing when done.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 5:16pm
If you are looking at late blower resistors for 71 to 74 Javelins, thry are robust. All you need to do is clean them good. I have my original and the original owner replaced the blower motor before I bought the car. So them resistors will outlast a blower motor or two.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic