TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Blasting Media

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blasting Media
    Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 7:33am
I've used silica sand for decades, gonna stop using it since it's not so safe.

What is the best overall media? Doing mainly rust removal.

-Steve-
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 8:15am
there all king that can be used walnut , plastic beads among others I have used both and walnut worked good for me
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 10:06am
i use evapo-rust. on small parts not too costly. about 22 dollars a gallon. on large items like manifolds and oil pans i also use bricks to take up the voids as will use 5 or more gallons so cost is over 100 dollars. i did use sand and also soda but got in it every place it could go. the advantage is after soaking for 2 days based on weather and temperature the item can be cleaned with water. brush it off while in the liquid first. use a long wire brush.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 2:06pm
I use 80 grit aluminum oxide in one cabinet and glass beads in another.
The AL ox is a more $ than sand but creates less dust. I still use sand outdoors when pressure blasting, but with a respirator.
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 2:48pm
What Steve said - JJ
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 8:43pm
sl*g products like Black Beauty are what I use. Little more money but low dust. Still need a respirator. Also doesn't contaminate the surface like sand can.
Bill Frazer
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 9:05am
I've used crushed auto glass, silica sand and black beauty.
About 15 years ago I purchased a ScatBlast cabinet and vacuum from TP Tools.
One of the best investments I ever made. I'm still on the first set of sleeves, but have a spare set on hand. I have all the consumables on hand as spares. I found out that the plastic film the local HyVee uses to protect fresh flowers works great as a liner to protect the window from getting all cloudy. I wipe the dust off the window with a damp towel, let it dry and tape a piece of the plastic on the inside with 3M blue masking tape that doesn't leave a residue. Needless to say, the women in my life got flowers, they never knew why.......kills two birds with one stone....

I have a gravity feed canister blaster as well, I've built a tent inside my "shop" out of poly sheeting so I can blast larger objects. I wear a paint respirator and a hood when blasting in my tent.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jan/31/2018 at 9:08am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 11:27pm
I have found that plastic removes paint a lot better than glass and glass removes rust a lot better than plastic. That was from cleaning parts in a cabinet.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 8:53am
That's interesting vinny,

I'll have to get plastic media, what source have you used to buy the plastic beads from?

Does the plastic prevent heat build up and warpage in thinner gauge sheetmetal as well ?

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 3:54pm
I don't remember where they got the plastic from. Plastic would take the paint off very quickly to the cad plate. After that the glass would get rid of the cad plate and clean out any rust. 

I saw a very expensive aluminum part get destroyed with plastic (would have been destroyed with any media) when the guy wasn't watching what he was doing and had the pressure too high.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic