TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Biggest tire on stock 70 Javelin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggest tire on stock 70 Javelin?
    Posted: May/19/2015 at 1:47pm
Anybody got a cheap easy way to get as big a tire as possible onto the rear of a stock 1970 Javelin? I have a long road trip and 4.10 gears, so I am hoping to tame them a bit! 

What I am hoping for is a cheap wheel and tire combination that gives me something around a 29"+ tire. Car is at stock ride height with standard rear drums. 

Thanks!

Chris 
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2015 at 3:31pm
Sounds like a SUV/light truck tire is in order. 235/75x15= 29" diameter. What are you going to do about the rake 29" tires create.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2015 at 4:48pm
Live with it! Around where I grew up we call that a Surrey Hot Rod. You know, the kind of place where there are more trailers than homes with foundations and jokes about "what do Surrey girls do after sex?"

Seriously, I am only putting them on for a fairly slow road trip, ie under 60 mph, and then they are coming off asap! I think it should be ok, handling wise. What do you think? 

Thanks!

Chris 
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2015 at 9:31pm
A 29" tire will not fit
A 28" tire will not fit with out trimming the front & rear of the wheel opening. That was the only way I could mount M/T 28x9x15 slicks on my 70 Javelin drag car.
A 27" may fit with out trimming but I don't remember as I looked into this a few years back fro my 70 Javelin street car.
Best thing to do is pull a rear wheel and measure the opening front to rear at the lowest points (rocker/trunk drop off) and see what you come up with.
I want to say a 26" id the safe size.
Dave ----

ps: what trany are you running?
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2015 at 9:43pm
I already have 26.5" tires on the car, which is F70-14's. Was your drag car lowered? I am thinking that something bigger must fit. I know that E60-15's did. 

Thanks!

Chris 
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2015 at 10:12pm
No not lowered if anything it sits high all the way around. It has new stock front & rear springs with Cal-trac bars out back. With the 28" slicks they have rubbed on the front at the rocker as the paint is rubbed off the body but no marks in the rubber.

Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
2javman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2javman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2015 at 1:06am
I put 29x15 inch tires on my 70 javelin when I tubbed the rear end and I still had to stretch the wheel well opening 2 inches to get them to fit and not rub
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2015 at 1:43am
This is beginning to sound like I might be driving a lot slower than I had hoped!
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2015 at 2:05am
Reminds me of someones 1972 camero that you could not take to the beach because it was at redline the whole way. The road to the beach is a 2 lane.

The only thing you can do is make sure you are running max pressure in the rear tires, it will make them bigger.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2015 at 2:29am
255/60/15, that's 27", not much room left for anything bigger:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic