TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Big body vs Small body AMC front sway bars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big body vs Small body AMC front sway bars
    Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 2:08pm
I'm thinking about upgrading the front sway bar on my 77 Matador wagon from the stock 7/8" to the 1 1/8", and discovered an 'odd' thing - Addco lists the exact same part number (866) for the big body cars (Javelin/Matador/Ambassador) as the small body cars (Gremlin/Hornet/Spirit/Concord). My question - how is that possible - when the between frame rail distance of these cars are so different?  Anyone have any experience with this on a big body car?
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 10:11pm
Good question...
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 6:57am
I just sold one of those bars that I originally bought for my Matador. Yes the 866 number is the same but the sway bar is a couple inches wider than a HD Spirit AMX bar I had sitting next to it. That bar will fit the big car definitely
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 8:11am
I bought an Addco front sway bar for my 69 Rambler and (although I don't have it in front of me) I believe the number for the front is 165 and the rear is 915. Sounds like you have received inaccurate information. They are definitely a different size.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Jan/16/2017 at 8:20am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 1:59pm
sadly - I'm getting the info right off of Addco's own website.  Unless I'm really reading it wrong, here's the link:  http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/amc/
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 2:23pm
The 866 bar may still physically fit the small cars but the end links would sit at an angle. I had the bar mounted on my Matador and it was perfect
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 2:31pm
This is the answer I was hoping for!  Thank you!

Now for the 2nd question - did it make a solid improvement in the handling?  And are you using a stock rear bar, or an addco upgrade?
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 3:34pm
I only had the bar mounted. I was going to do a pro touring type build initially but decided to do a 70s style street and strip car so I am using the stock bar up front and in the rear. Prior to the recent installation of bias ply drag tires the car handled very well for a big car with 275/60 and 225/70 BFG radial TA tires on 15 x 8 and 15 x 7 cragar wheels. I have aftermarket springs all around(Machine spec in rear with air bags) KYB shocks as well as a full polyurethane suspension which I highly recommend in the big cars. In the rear I also have edelbrock upper control arms (same as early chevelle) and TRW boxed lower arms that have the factory holes for the sway bar.

The bigger sway bar on your car will make a difference as well as using the factory rear but the airbags really help firm things up in the rear. You would see more improvement with new shocks and bushings than just the sway bars alone
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 4:15pm
Thanks! I've already purchased the KYBs and the full front/rear Prothane setup. 

I'll be running 245/50-16s all around (signature pic shows the wheels already on).  Car has the factory handling package (front and rear bars) but I'm thinking that the thicker Addco bits will help level it out some more. 

Car has 120k on it, and the ride height looks pretty close to stock as is, so for the time being I'm planning on keeping the stock springs unless during the suspension swap/restoration they look a little questionable.  Might cut 3/4 to a full round of spring on the fronts to up the spring rate and give the car a wee bit of rake. 
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 4:36pm
Sounds like you have a plan. With the wagon you might consider adding the airlift bags in the rear for both ride height adjustment and additional cargo capacity. They run  100 bucks and make a dramatic difference with even 10 psi inflation. I even use them to raise the rear of the car so when I want to remove the fat rear tires I have, I dont have to use 2  jacks for both the body and the axle to clear the rear fender lips.

Be sure to go poly on the front spring seat bushing as well, very easy mod and also makes a big difference. As far as lube on the bushing ditch the waxy crap that Prothane includes. When assembling I use Chesterton 787 sliding paste instead. Very thick moly that wont wash out and a little goes a long way. No squeaks in 5 years on my car..good luck...Keep that Matty Wagon alive. Not many left. I had a 72 wagon and have a NOS rear tailgate inner door handle if you need one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic