TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Best Six Cylinder HEI for 258

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Six Cylinder HEI for 258
    Posted: May/05/2017 at 10:16am
Edsel my 75 Pacer is shucking his Prestolite ignition.  I see those relatively cheap HEI distributors on Ebay but I am wondering about gear compatibility with the cam and overall reliability.  Thus the question: what is a good brand of DUI to get for the AMC 2nd gen six?   I'm talking about the GM style HEI distributor here.  If I wanted more problems I would buy Ford parts.  LOL   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 12:18pm
Get one from a Chevy 250 inline 6 . There are 2 styles ,coil in cap and one with seperate coil. The gear on the Prestolite will fit on the HEI. When you install it make sure the shaft doesn't push down on the oil pump shaft. IIRC the power line to the PRES. is 12 volt. I like the separate coil better.

Edited by amc67rogue - May/05/2017 at 12:22pm
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 12:54pm
The best one to get is the real GM HEI,all of the others are copies.I only run the real Hei.
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 3:26pm
I paid a handful for the Davis unified 258 model.
Don't know about best. But I like it. 15 years and it still works good.
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
AMC RICK 401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC RICK 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 3:42pm
Davis unified ( DUI) are the best. Very good internals and hotter spark.
Money well spent and very good tech.

GM HEI OEM are ok for stock set up.
light years over the Prestolite
1969 SC Rambler
1974 Jeep CJ5 Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 TH400
Tube Chassis Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 Powerglide
"We are not here for a long time but we are here for a good time"
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 4:15pm
I've got a Davis HEI,  but it's on my Jeep 360.   

I've had it on there about 15 years,  expensive, even then, about $350.00,  but worth every penny.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 11:03pm
hi x3 on the Davis DUI, ran one for over 15 years on Eagle #1. When that car died, I pulled it and sent it back to them for a "freshening", cleaning, lube, ckeck up, etc. Now it's ready for the next car, probably my 77 Hornet AMX. good luck, gz
george z
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 2:08am
I'm still running points and haven't had a problem that needed to be solved.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 6:56pm
Go for the GM HEI if you can find one but there is no fooling people what it is. I got one at the wreckers from a 78 Nova and it sure perked up the truck. The Rambler has to be content for a while with the Petronix.

Once you switch John you'll never go back. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 7:10pm
Thanks for all the input.  I found a remote coil HEI off of a Chevy six that I pulled a long time ago.  I did not know that the distributor gear from the Prestnolite would fit the HEI.  That's good news. If that doesn't work, based on recommendations, I will go with the DUI unit. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic