TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

best oil filter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

I had been using Baldwin B9 filters on the 290 in my Javelin. I can not get them anymore and need to change the oil soon. What other filters have a proper anti drain back and are easy to find?

It's funny, I used my last Baldwin B9 two weekends ago, and was going to order more when I saw this thread.

I just now (today) ordered two cases of Baldwin B9 oil filters from "Application Associates" which is a rep for Baldwin.
$75.97 for per case (12) plus shipping (about $12 each for shipping).

Application Associates saw no issue with availability. http://www.baldwinfiltersrus.com/baldwin-b9-full-flow-lube-spin-on.html

Good luck...

Rich C.

Edited by Ram Air Rick - Sep/21/2017 at 4:54am
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 2:32pm
I use whatever I happen to buy when it is time to change the oil. No brand loyalty. Usually that means stopping at the Carquest store and buying one of their blue filters, which are the same as NAPA Gold.
I saw a commercial for Split Fire spark plugs that said they would add 8 horsepower. I put one in my 5 HP rototiller and now it has 13 HP.

Edited by 6768rogues - Sep/20/2017 at 2:36pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 8:37pm
The oil filter is your second line of defense. The air filter and crankcase breather are the first. If intake air filtration was 100% perfect, then the only things left for the oil filter to trap would be microscopic metal particles wearing off engine surfaces and carbon pieces, both of which are so small the don't pose much of a hazard to the engine anyway.

I have an engine that had to be overbored .040" because farmers ran it in dusty, gritty Kansas for several years without a crankcase filter. The PCV system just sucked dirty outside air into the crankcase and it ground everything up. I have seen so may AMC sixes with a simple hose coming off the valve cover and sucking in dirty air. Yet those owners worry about their oil filter brand. 

How many people here sweat over what kind of oil filter they use but don't sweat over their air filter? How many people actually clean and re-oil the breather filter in the oil fill cap every oil change like they're supposed to? How many people have a gasket between their air cleaner and the carburetor air horn? How many people have a filtered fresh air intake on their automatic choke? Those things all matter more than what brand of oil filter you use unless you get one that is flat-out DEFECTIVE. 

I learned about air filtration really quickly from living on dirt roads in Arizona and Kansas my whole life. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 7:51am
You make a really valid point FSJunkie. Most people probably do not give much thought about air filtration when they should. It is even more exaggerated in the more dusty states or where a car routinely travels gravel and dirt roads.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 11:58am
For me the best filter is the one that directly bolts up. On the L6 that can literally be anything since our filter systems are somewhat modular and changes often. I used to run Mobil filters on the 258 but during the stroker swap I opted to remove the adapter and roll pin to refit the original deep pipe oil filter fitting directly into the block. Purolator PL14459 makes more sense today but during the build I was looking for AMSOIL EAO42 and ultimately Microgard MGL51626 because that was all I could find.

I have no idea what to expect when I rip open the oil system on one of our V8s but if it's anything like the Small Block LA, I can expect some degree of option sealed idiocy.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic