TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

best oil filter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 6:57am
Fram PH11, AC Delco PF24, Purolator L30005. I'm not 100% sure on the Purolator # but something like that. Somebody told me Purolator is now owned by Wix??? I've used all three of the above with good results.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:10am
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

Slight problem with buying an oil filter from USA, some sellers think Canada is somewhere by kazakstan and insist the cost for shipping is $40 when it is really about $7 or $8. So I'm lookin at $65 CDN for a filter by the time it gets here. I got a wix 51258 on there now but it is draining back into the pan.
I get mine from either Summit or Rock Auto and buy them in bulk so that the shipping cost is reduced. In the end, it is cheaper than buying locally even with the shipping and exchange rate.

I have been buying Motorcraft filters for my vehicles (4.6 Ford, 4.8 GM, 390 AMC). The anti-drainback supposedly works on these. The 390 has the filter adapter conversion so I can use the FL1A
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
jesse View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 9:30am
On my 390 rebuild I installed the Crown Automotive oil filter adapter (part# CWA-53007563AB) and using Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter.
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 10:04am
I have been using the K&N filters(Summit) for a while now no issues...other choice for me is WIX....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 10:05am
Baldwin B9 or B39
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 10:46am
Okay for the sake of controversy I'll stir. Now I have read in this forum and a few other places of the so called orange cans of doom,death, what have and that must have been a former product or bad lot of filters, it happens. In order to provide my Honda dealer information I did some research and it seems like the entire line except for the S-2000 cars use Honda AO-2 filters made by Honeywell and outsourced by.....Fram. It seems to me that if a large brand name is willing to put their entire automotive units in the hands of that filter, who am I to argue. I had seen former Honda filters the AO-1's and the AO-2's side by side and cut in two, the result was the AO-2's has 30% larger return oil holes and a larger back flow system as well as a thicker metal container. It seems they have done the work to make not only a good product, but the only product for all vehicles they make, let the nigh Sayers have their forum, I'm convinced. As a side note I actually took out a 3.5 liter motor but not related to motor oil failure, Honda of America stated I abused the motor, while a half dozen ASE mechanics from the dealer all swore and signed a statement to the fact that l did not or could not cause that damage even if I were to run the engine without oil or water. Honda was glad to sell me a crate motor for around 13k though, so that's my story, I have the receipt as proof. Love my Ridgeline.

Mark
Rambleron@yahoo.com
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Ruby loye Ruby loye wrote:

Okay for the sake of controversy I'll stir. Now I have read in this forum and a few other places of the so called orange cans of doom,death, what have and that must have been a former product or bad lot of filters, it happens. In order to provide my Honda dealer information I did some research and it seems like the entire line except for the S-2000 cars use Honda AO-2 filters made by Honeywell and outsourced by.....Fram. It seems to me that if a large brand name is willing to put their entire automotive units in the hands of that filter, who am I to argue. I had seen former Honda filters the AO-1's and the AO-2's side by side and cut in two, the result was the AO-2's has 30% larger return oil holes and a larger back flow system as well as a thicker metal container. It seems they have done the work to make not only a good product, but the only product for all vehicles they make, let the nigh Sayers have their forum, I'm convinced. As a side note I actually took out a 3.5 liter motor but not related to motor oil failure, Honda of America stated I abused the motor, while a half dozen ASE mechanics from the dealer all swore and signed a statement to the fact that l did not or could not cause that damage even if I were to run the engine without oil or water. Honda was glad to sell me a crate motor for around 13k though, so that's my story, I have the receipt as proof. Love my Ridgeline.

Mark
Rambleron@yahoo.com

Since you own a Honda... Our 09 never came with synthetics for oil or tranny fluids.

Changed over to full synthetics and Mobil 1 filter. Oil changes are cleaner since using 1 micron filtration. Only a few manufacturers filter down that small. So far everyone has given good info , and glad nobody selected K-Mart or cheap specials.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 12:22pm
I'm wondering what happens when the filter goes down as small as 1 micron and you start an older car with 10-40 dino lube in it at lets say zero degrees Fahrenheit.

Pretty hypothetical situation probably, none of us start our cars when it's that cold out, especially without pre-heating it.

the 1 micron sounds great for 0 - 20 weight synthetic oils or dino oils in warm temps.

am I wrong?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

I'm wondering what happens when the filter goes down as small as 1 micron and you start an older car with 10-40 dino lube in it at lets say zero degrees Fahrenheit.

Pretty hypothetical situation probably, none of us start our cars when it's that cold out, especially without pre-heating it.

the 1 micron sounds great for 0 - 20 weight synthetic oils or dino oils in warm temps.

am I wrong?

... that's why the stock filter adapter has a filter bypass and generally shouldn't be plugged unless using a filter with built-in bypass,
e.g.Fram HP2 ... or change the nipple to use an FL-1A as posted earlier.
HP2

Remember that the filtration system relies on multiple passes through the filter to keep the oil in the pan clean. If you're worried about oil bypassing the filter at cold start or surge flows, you've got engine problems or poor maintenance practices ... race engines may have different considerations for bypass.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 1:41pm
As long as you use a quality filter and have choices to run a tall or larger capacity filter. I have seen a few size variances for AMC, so short or narrow cans are not recommended.

The last short can I noticed on AMC v8, was a yellow Pennzoil can,

Most good quality filters have more filter surface area than cheaper ones. The more surface area the less restriction.

Back when Mobil 1 introduced the 1 micron filter, weights of oil were 10w-30. Mainly it was to improve upon synthetic for cleaner running engines.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic