TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

best fuel line?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detmarlin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best fuel line?
    Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 4:36pm
looking at replacing complete fuel line my 65 marlin, was looking at nickel/copper lines,(something that's easy to bend and flare) will be installing a electric fuel pump,(near fuel tank) would 3/8 size be ok, or should i go with a smaller diameter? 

Thanks
BjH
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 4:49pm
3/8 will be over kill but will be ok.
Gremlin Dreams
detmarlin65 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detmarlin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 5:01pm
so would 5/16 be better?
BjH
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 5:33pm
3/8" fuel line should support 600 HP on a mechanical FP and 1000 HP with 14 PSI electric FP.
So what is in the Marlin?
If stock 327 then 5/16" is plenty. 1/4" would be OK also but you may need a return line to keep up with the flow and not have pressure spikes. If stock 327 don't go for a high flow performance electric fuel pump. One with an internal flow regulator is better as the fuel cools the pump motor. 
detmarlin65 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detmarlin65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 6:12pm
i'am running a rebuilt 287 stock engine, with a mild cam and a 450 cfm Quick Fuel 4 barrel carb, with a electric fuel pump and a separate fuel regulator  set at 5.5 psi. i do not want to run a return line, if its not necessary .
BjH
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 6:38pm
Personally I would use 5/16 stainless, but there is no bad choice.
Gremlin Dreams
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 8:04pm
I did 3/8" Copper Nickle fuel line and had a hard time bending it without kinking it (really!)

I think it's because I followed some advice to stretch the line out straight before working it.

It comes in a roll,
I stuck one end in my vice, rolled it out, and pulled the other end until all the bends were out of it and it was perfectly straight.

As soon as I went to put a bend back in it, it kinked.
I ended up very gently forming it with a tiny tubing bender I have, and even then it wanted to collapse and kink very easily.

I ran smaller copper-nickle brake lines before this,
did not straighten it out first and that stuff bent so easily and perfectly it was a breeze to install.

Just a word to the wise,
maybe I got a bad batch of the 3/8's,
but I think it was from pulling it straight.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:10pm
Seamless 5/16" stainless steel is the route I would go. You do it one time and you'll never have to do it again.

Tom
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 11:43am
I like the copper nickel. It flares very easily and it clamps down tightly enough in the flare fittings to be leak free. Stainless is a good product but it is hard so it is more problematic to flare and to have leak free at the fittings.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 8:54am
I agree, stainless is a pain to flare. I don’t know of any reason why copper-nickel wouldn’t work just as well.
I have used 3/8” from a roll before, and didn’t have any of the issues mentioned by Jpnjim.

Edited by akimmet - Oct/25/2018 at 8:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic