TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Best Cam Upgrade for stock 360???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Sounds to me like it is close to the Comp268H and Isky 270HL
  • Comp 268H
  • Advertised duration: 268 intake/268 exhaust
  • Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 218 intake/218 exhaust
  • Gross valve lift: .456 in. intake/.456 in. exhaust
  • Lobe separation: 110 degrees
  • Basic rpm range: 1,500 to 5,500
  • Good low end torque. Broad powerband. Excellent for towing or performance.  Slightly rough idle.
  • Recommended compression ratio: 8:1 to 9.5:1

ISKY - CAM ONLY Good All-Around performance. Fair idle. stock Converter. 370-411 Axle Ratio. Up to 650 CFM Carb. 9.51 Compr. RPM-Range (2000-6000) Valve Lift (.475 .475) Valve Lash hot (.000 .000) ADV. Duration (270 270) .050 Duration (216 216) LC 109

I have this in my 71 stock HC 360 works and sounds great . but remember change dist curve and intake as well . 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 8:59pm
I have the Comp 268H in the 360 in my AMX. Overall it's a nice cam, would I like something a little bigger that would make more power? Of course, but the car had to pass emissions for collector plates and it did just that with the 268H.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
lakehopper View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakehopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 11:42am
All this talk about cams,my question is what do you need to do to the heads to make them work.I'm told you have to have the heads machined to get thing to work righr as far as springs go ????
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 12:21pm
You know, that's a good question!! Because if you look some of these cams up on Comps website it says you need to use larger valve springs that may require machining, and longer push rods.
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 10:20pm
Just keep in mind that Comp Cams is not the expert on your engine.  YOU figure out which valve springs and push rods you need and order them accordingly. YOU measure what the base circle is vs the lobe lift is and YOU figure out what the push rod length should be.  Then tell them what you want.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 10:33pm
Or you could get an engine built by someone like SC397 who knows what they are talking about and get a rock solid engine that will last for years.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 1:57am
Generally a bigger cam will need heavier valve springs for optimum performance, mostly to avoid floating the valves at higher RPM. Your cam should come with a recommended spring pressure, bot closed and open or a recommended set of springs.

Stock left vs upgraded right:

Things to look out for are piston to valve clearance, which can become an issue with larger lifts and/or duration, retainer to guide (valve stem seal) clearance and also any sot of binding or the rockers or springs.

Aftermarket retainers (right) can also help with retainer to guide clearance, otherwise you can machine down the guides and use different valve stem seals:

You can buy the Comp cams as a kit that will include matching springs, retainers and locks and even a timing set if needed.
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 6:49am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Just keep in mind that Comp Cams is not the expert on your engine.  YOU figure out which valve springs and push rods you need and order them accordingly. YOU measure what the base circle is vs the lobe lift is and YOU figure out what the push rod length should be.  Then tell them what you want.

I completely agree and understand what you are saying SC397. I am not an expert, nor is Comp. I would have an engine builder spec all of this out. All I was pointing out is that they(Comp) recommend a larger spring(which would require modification to the head, machining the spring pockets), and longer push rods, with most of the cams that we've discussed so far...
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 7:06am
The springs I posted above come from Comp Cams (926-16) fit the stock heads just fine and are specified for most of the Comp Cams in the performance range we are talking about here. Pushrod length should always be checked with any cam change because once you stray from stock, nothing is guaranteed. Converting to an adjustable valve train is also a good idea, but not essential.
lakehopper View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakehopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 11:32am
So a guy could run a 268-270 cam and not have to do any head work ???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic