TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bendix disk brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bendix disk brakes
    Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 1:08pm
I have a 68 javelin that has the Bendix 4 piston disk brakes and one of the calipers it started leaking fluid where one of the cups are. Took it off a disassembled it and found a lot of crap in the bores, rust and what not. Was considering going with the rock auto reman calipers (a1cardone) But wonder if they are a good reman caliper or not.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 1:25pm
For just about anything being remanufactured (starters, alternators, generators, distributors, brake boosters/master cylinders, calipers, etc) Cardone is about the only game in town. You get some good, you get some bad. You pay your money and you take your chances.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 1:26pm
Yes, they are. They might even be a brand new casting. The one I purchased appears to be.

Go for it!

If you don't use silicone (DOT5) fluid (and only use it if you're replacing all the master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders too), then be sure to change brake fluid every few years.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 1:38pm
Ok! I'll get them then! Also on the dot 5 fluid. I did replace the rear cylinders but put regular dot 3 in it before the leak. Can I just bleed all the dot 3 out and put dot 5 or will the residual dot 3 contaminate the dot 5?
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 1:59pm
The residual will contaminate the dot 5. You have to flush and remove all traces of Dot3. Not easy without taking everything apart and cleaning with brake cleaner.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 2:02pm
Dam! Alrighty I'll stick with the dot 3 but replace every year or other year. Thanks for the info guys!!
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 6:44pm
Unless you're really anal, 'replacing' the brake fluid every few years simply consists of you and a buddy bleeding the brakes, blowing out all the crap and putting in fresh Dot3 fluid. Done. If you've already replaced components you won't have a problem.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 8:47pm
If me and I had to keep it stock I would go with Calipers online.
http://calipersonline.com/amxandallotheramccarswithdiscbrakes1965-70caliper.aspx
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 9:39pm
I had great results with calipers online.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 12:15am
I'm actually pretty anal on the maintenance on all my cars sweatock, changing fluids and what not, but did check out those calipers on calipersonline fuzzface22 which from what it says is a better quality but Dam the price scares the heck out of me!! That's definetly out of my price range. If I'm gonna pay that much for calipers it better be made out of gold or billet! I can even buy the scarebird kit and all components for just a little under the price of one caliper which I was thinking of doing but decided to keep it stock and go with the remans from rock auto which I ordered earlier today! I'm always looking for the better deal but then again get what you pay for and what not but if these calipers give me a problem later on ill be switching to the scarebird kit!

Edited by Ramblage - Oct/10/2015 at 12:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic