TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bendix 4 piston caliper brake line issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bendix 4 piston caliper brake line issue
    Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 8:32pm
Has anyone come across this before?:

I went to change a leaking caliper (driver side) with another caliper (I have 2 spares) - and everything worked out great until I attempted to thread the steel brake line into the replacement caliper. It threaded in with no problem, but what happened is the threaded ferrule on the brake line stopped short when the hex part of it (where you put the flare nut wrench to tighten it) bottomed out on the caliper prior to the threaded part pushing against the bubble flare thus not allowing the bubble flare to seat against the conical seat (and thus leak). I estimate I need another .060" long threaded section (or would need to remove material from the lower part of the hex by making the OD less than that of the threaded hole - which I really do not want to do).

I measured the depth of the brake line receiving threaded holes all three of my calipers and all are slightly different +/- .060 more or less difference between them.

I need to find a manufacture of the (stainless) brake lines that uses a longer threaded ferrule. I need the threads to be about .650 overall in length. Mine are about .550.

I suppose I can find a longer ferrule somewhere and cut the flared end and put a new bubble flare on after slipping the new ferrule on first of course. Not sure how to do a bubble flare. I have always done double flares on all my other cars. Perhaps someone can shed light on the bubble flare.

Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance.

Edited by ScrambledEgg - Nov/18/2015 at 8:37pm
ScrambledEgg
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 9:03pm
Give SS Brake Corporation a call. I sent them calipers to be sleeved in SS and they made up a complete ss brake line kit for me too. I should mention this was for a 64 XKE.

I measured the front driver side caliper brake line to the rubber hose on my 68 AMX. The ferrule is threaded about .520". It was easy to measure because it is off and the front and rear brake lines are in the process all of being replaced. Almost finished. You painted a good visual of the dilemma you are in. A local brake shop should be able to fabricate something for you. That brake line has to make a tight 90* turn coming off the caliper which comes to close to the ferrule for my tube benders.

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Nov/18/2015 at 9:09pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 9:34pm
You can try the local auto parts stores see if they might have it. On my bendix setup on my 68 javelin which I had to replace my calipers with new ones because the stock ones were shot I remember the ferrul didn't go in as much as in the new calipers but it did tighten up. Ferrul was seated deeper. I ended up replacing the line later on since the line was pretty old and the hex part on the ferrul was jast about stripped, didn't wanna risk another leak so got a new line with the new ferruls, from autozone, one side had the longer ferrul, Had to shorten it and just double flared the cut end with the long ferrul which had a good amount of threads and it seated alittle higher. As far as bubble flaring idk how to do that.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
ClassicCustom400 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 11:11pm
It is an odd size, alot of auto parts store generic lines usually do not work.  All the major AMC vendors keep the correct reprodcued Caliper lines in stock.  SS version is also available as a special order.

08-5252BRAKE LINE1965-70 BRAKE LINE SET FROM THE BENDIX DISC BRAKE CALIPER TO THE FLEX BRAKE LINE AT THE CHASSIS BRACKET. THIS IS THE PAIR OF LINES WITH THE SPECIAL FITTINGS TO PROPERLY SEAT INTO THE CALIPER. STAINLESS STEEL LINES ARE AVAILABLE BY SPECIAL ORDER, CONTACT US FOR CURRENT PRICING. $23.50

JeepComancher
www.ClassicCustom400.com
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 5:15am
I did buy my SS lines from one of the major sellers out there (cant remember which one because that was about 7 years ago). This line (the one that connects the hose to the caliper) worked fine with the one caliper, but the ferule is too short by about .060" for this particular caliper. After tightening it down (and it bottoming out on the caliper to its hex shape at the top of the threads) the line is not seated against the cone at the bottom of the threaded hole). I can move the line with my hand at this point and it moves maybe .060" - not seated for sure causing it to leak. I do appreciate AMXFSTBK390 measuring the threads on his set (.520"). I may be able to get away with about .630" (mine are about .550"), but would like to get a ferule whose threads are around .650 for extra insurance.

These lines are unique/special because the end is not double flared like any other 'traditional' brake line of modern design. The cone in the caliper is acutally shaped like a funnel (like an ice crème cone with no ice crème in it). It needs to have the bubble flare or they will not work. You cannot put a double flare on these line as that is the opposite shape of what is needed in the bottom of the caliper hole.

If anyone else has a set (or one) of these caliper brake lines off their car, I would appreciate some feedback on the overall length of the threaded part of the ferrule

thanks
ScrambledEgg
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 8:08pm
found an article on a bubble flare. I can probably do this myself once I find a brake fitting that has around .650" worth of threads or one that has .550" with a turned down neck near where the hexagonal flats meet the threads.

http://www.rtsauto.com/brake-lines-for-bmws-and-e30s-the-bubble-flare-not-the-double-flare/

The bubble flare is really known as the ISO/DIN flare. It appears that it is common in metric sizes these days as BMW and Audi use them. There is a good picture in the thread below showing the side by side comparison of the bubble vs double flare. And each takes its own fitting which are unique to the flare. And then there is also the mushroom flare. A third type that is out there:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/56309-hard-brake-lines.html

Edited by ScrambledEgg - Nov/19/2015 at 9:02pm
ScrambledEgg
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2015 at 5:07pm
 I checked my OE Bendix 4 piston calipers and the threaded inlets average .560" deep to the start of the bubble flare seat. I just bought a pair of 3/16" stainless bubble flare brake line tube nuts from Inline Tube #STN23 and they are threaded .53". I have a 20' length of 3/16" stainless steel tubing for making my front to rear line and had it bubble flared on both ends so I can make the 2 short 90* front caliper brake lines, the bubble flares measue about .090". A .53" long bushing thread with a .090" bubble flare (.53 + .09 = .62") should work just fine in a .56 deep threaded caliper inlet. .65" seems a bit deep, if you only need a couple of more turns maybe you could counter bore the threaded holes a little, or this type of fittings could be turned and threaded more. 

Tony

Edited by fasttony - Dec/05/2015 at 5:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic