TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Beehive springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beehive springs
    Posted: Aug/20/2019 at 1:35pm
Hello AMC Buddies.
I thought maybe some could benefit from my communication with Crane Cams Tech about using beehive springs from Comp Cams on Crane Cams Hyd Roller Cams.

Also any comments on using the Mopar Stainless valves from Manley let me know. they are longer. Intake .070 exhaust .080 I think that means longer pushrods will need to be determined my measurement. I have looked at videos on determining pushrod length. As well as valve height. Still gathering info Motor still in SC Rambler. Feel free to give input on valves. Hope info from Crane Tech can be of benefit.   
Here it is below. Welcome any comments. Larry

Hi Eric
Here are the specs of your Crane cam valve spring for AMC Hyd. Roller.
And also the specs of Comp Cam valve springs for AMC Hyd. Roller.
They look close, do you think that these Comp Cam beehive springs will work with your Hyd. Roller Cam.
I like your Hyd. Roller cam profiles better but would like to use the beehives.
Also could I use your Solid Rollers on your Hyd. Roller cam. I have heard some do interchange solids for Hyd.
I also will need to use Mopar 340 Valves no one makes 1.625 stainless valves exhaust for AMC.
The Mopar 340 2.020 intake and 1.625 exhaust are longer.
AMC intake 4.900 exhaust 4.907 Mopar intake 4.970 exhaust 4.980.
Any input let me know Thanks again Larry

Crane and Comp springs
AMC Hyd. Roller                                       AMC Hyd. Roller
Crane Cams Dual                                    Comp Cams Beehive
Spring No. 99893                                    Spring No. 26056
Install Height     1.850                                        1.800
OD                 1.460                                        1.454
ID                 0.803                                        0.731
Coil Bind          1.080                                        1.100
Spring Rate          391                                          400
Max lift           0.710                                         0.650
1.900               112                                           120
1.850               130                                           140
1.800               149                                           160
1.750               167                                           180
1.700               186                                           200
1.650               205                                           220
1.600               223                                           240
1.550               242                                           260
1.500               261                                           280
1.450               279                                           300
1.400               298                                           320
1.350               318                                           340
1.300               338                                           360
1.250               358                                           380
1.200               380                                           400
1.150               404                                           420

Answer from Crane Cams Tech
Looks like the beehive Comp spring will work fine if you want to use it.

You can use solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam with no problem. You will need to run the lash around .008 to .012 since they don't have any lash ramp like solid roller designs do.

I don't know about the valves but if they help with installed height then I don't see any problem using them.

SC Rambler
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 4:35am
I'm using Comp 26056 springs (which should be the same as Lunati 1.445" bbc chevy spring #74820-16)

I'm still using stock length valves which causes the install height to be too low, about 1.81" even with +050" keepers. I believe this and lift from HR232 cam used with solid lifters and 1.7 rocker (0.62 exhaust lift) caused 2 spring breakages on exhaust side.

Installed 1.6 ratio rockers and hoping the springs will last better now.

Kris

Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 7:16pm
Kris
Thanks for info
That is the cam HR232 with solids rollers I was considering using but with 1.6 rockers. Looks like your lift about .606 at 1.204 was still not coil bind 26056 is .650 at 1.100 coil bind max lift. Let me know what is the outcome of 1.6 rockers. Can our installed height be maybe 1.850. that is what the Crane Cams 99893 states. Have not built a motor since the 1960s. A lot of things have changed since then you could buy parts install them and they just worked. My motor still in car but all this info will surely help when I get started on it.
I will only get one chance so I need to do it right, Car will not be raced only run on the street. Larry
SC Rambler
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 12:39am
Just check the installed height when installing the valves, im sure the those springs are fine if installed properly. I put those on without removing heads so i didnt have option to do much changes.

They install fine with stock umbrella valve seals but if you are planning new valves, put some with chevy size stems?

Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 3:17pm
Looked again at comp cams Hyd roller that those beehive go with. And the max lift on their cams .552. Maybe I should use Crane HR-224 max lift .563 instead of HR232 .584 lift. How does yours run on the street. What pistons and rods are you using and have you replaced your valves. I like the idea of not having to cut valve spring seats and seal area and using Umbrella seals. Saving all parts just incase the next person wants to return it to stock. But I think I want to replace valves with stainless valves not sure if the stock valves could hold together with added cam and springs. My motor is still stock factory 20,000 miles. Not sure what I will find when I dig into it. Plan on removing rear axle and springs to cleanup and paint after weather cools down. Before removing motor.
Thanks for input.
SC Rambler
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 7:30am
It runs ok but would run better if i had suitable converter instead of stock BW 13" and something else than 2:87 gears but i drive highway speeds alot so i dont want to change gears.

Cam starts pulling well after 3000 rpm, highway speed at that point is about 75 mph. It drives fine from 1000 rpm up but is not really designed for that.

Im using rb4 intake, it has large ports, im thinking swapping that to airgap would bring torque in earlier but as im using E85 i dont want to loose manifold heating, maybe i should try stock cast iron manifold just to see how it works.

Im using stock valves with umbrellas, long 6.125 rods with short pistons and 12.4 comp ratio.

I would recommend using new valves anyway, last thing you want is to drop a valve in overhauled engine.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic