TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Becoming a mechanic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2010 at 11:04pm
If you are going to use them everyday,  snap-on is the one.  cornwell makes some good stuff too, but the ratchets and sockets and wrenches cant be beat from snap on.  15 yrs of working in a shop tought me that.   craftsman is ok for home use, and thats about it. some people has told me that some of the older craftman stuff is decent, but then I have a 60 yr old snap on ratchet that I used for 5 yrs everyday, and it has held up better than some of my craftsman ratchets.  if I sound like I hate craftsman,  I do.  I dont know much about Mac, I have a few of them, and Matco I dont really know about either.   and yeah craftsman brags about that warranty, but when Im using a tool, it infuriates me to no end when it breaks, and I dont have the time or patience to argue with sears when I need a new tool.  they would argue with me and I have no patience for that.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Aug/25/2010 at 11:07pm
timoboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 12:16am
It's not so much the arguing that pisses me off, its the fact that they give you a "reman" ratchet that looks like someone used it as a chisel in a past life...
slownugly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slownugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 7:24am
purple72gremlin hit the nail on the head. plain and simple your going into a professional field. you need professional equipment. with the amount a decent mechanic can make today, they should be able to pay the 20 or 50 dollars a week. times are changing. at our shop we charge a basic 1hr diagnostic fee whether it takes 5 min or 2 hours. say you get a car in with check engine light in and stalling. its a ford and you plug it up. its a lean code. its safe to say you can open the hood and find a vaccum hose sucked open. there you have 10 min into it and your getting payed for an hour. when it comes to electrical/diagnostics a good quote to remeber is "the customer isnt always paying you for what you did, they are paying you for what you know" same goes for tool guys. their not idiots working behind a desk they KNOW their tools and how to use them
28 model a                  73 gremlin drag car

74 gremlin project

00focus v8 5speed

hot rod rollback
68 american mpg project
abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 5:21pm
Zach, I will be echoing some of the other memebrs here on the forum. Snap-on is really the best way to go. Being a technician and also a business owner of a business, you will find the quality of tools will make a difference not to mention cheap tools can get you hurt or do damage. i have had many a probbies in my shop who have learned the hardway and follow my lead, and I have paid a few workman's comp claims as well. So I have a policy regarding tools of good quality. You will not be disappointed. Furthermore, normally when you graduate from school, Snap-on will other a 51% discount when you graduate on a first time buy. I would strongly look into this. If you have questions feel free to post them.

Good luck in your career,

Bob
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1973 AMX Javelin Pierre Cardin
1973 AMX Javelin Barnfind "Wifes"
1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 6:05pm

Ok, Well i got aquote from snap-on for 1800.00 including a box and all the tools listed other than the specialty tools that need to be purchased through the Automaker.  Not as bad as i thought, yet still a nice chunk of change.  

My question now is, what brand of pro-grade tools to go with?

There are the obvious,

Snap-On

Matco

Mac

What else?  Any real life experiences???

Zach Orcutt

abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 6:44pm
Zach, I would go with Snap-on. They are always there every week. I have seen a lot of the Mac & Matco guys come and go. When you need tools warrentied Snap-on is always there. Get used to purchasing tools. I have over $80,000 in my own personal tools. Hate to tell you what I got into the business tools.
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 7:42pm
My long term goal is to own a full service dealership.  People will always need a mode of transportation, no matter the economic state.  Ive heard a lot about warranty issues with snap-on, and that scares me.  People either love snap on or they don't.  Its just a huge investment and i want to do it right.  On top of the tools, there is also the laptop for diagnostic, dyno, and other programs that I will need which is another big cost.  Yes I will have graduation presents (hopefully) but I just want to make sure my investment pays off.
Zach Orcutt

abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 2:55am
Zach, if you plan to work for Ford as a technician you will need a laptop down the road for sure. Mostly all the diagnostic equipment is done with laptops. Ford uses the IDS for example, Chrysler the Wi-Tech, GM the MDI & GDS and still the Tech II. All of these diagnostic tools I have and more for each manufacture. But don't forget about the subscriptions as well which are due every year. As for a dyno, not much use for one unless you are in an emission testing state. One of the biggests tools that a Tech can have besides using is knowledge/experience & his witts is a good lab scope. If you are not familiar with a Pico Scope. Do a search and explore this avenue. It is an awesome scope and really aids a Tech in diagnostics. Another resource use can use and get advice is to go to  http://www.iatn.net/ There is a subscription fee of $15.00 per month paid quarterly. There is a vast amount of information and forums you can ask questoins from people who have been in the industry for years. Check it out and let me know what you think!
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 12:50pm
All I can say is $1800 may sound like a huge chunk of change, but I spent $2500 on Craftsman tools in 1985 dollars to move from a crappy little dealerships grease rack to flat rate tech at a GM/Jeep/AMC/Renault/Mitsu dealer 20 miles away.

I won't compare Craftsman tools of then to now, they look about the same. Will say most of the snap on stuff, even mac and cornwall seem to fit my hands better. However not wanting to hand the MAC and Snap On guys money every week motivated me to be very, specific in what I NEEDED compared to what I WANTED.  Beware the truck, it can be your friend, it can also dig a hole and toss you in it! Been there, seen that, avoided that!

I worked with my Craftsman tools for 6 years and had little issues. I never once had another line mechanic look down on me for it. If they did they certainly kept their mouths shut and that would be unusual for most of those guys.

Last, Stay the F away from anything short of Ballbearing cabinets if you wander in Sears. their new lower priced chest and rollaways are total junk. PERIOD!  I'd go buy ballbearing chests at Harborfright first!

oh, yeah, I did not see deep well sockets on the list....
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2010 at 8:51am
my 1975 tool set was/is craftsman.
not sure where this "reman" bit comes in as historically, they go pull a new tool off the shelf 4 me, no argument ever.
granted their older tools were much better...........
I started cheap and worked up. I simply could not afford snapon to begin with.
but as I added or replaced I put mac/matco and snapon in my collection.
I've not had problems with my older craftsmabn stuff and used it daily- on cars, trucks, tractors, etc.
my '75 craftsman cabinets are like new - but look like heck.
garage sales, auctions!!I got a LOT of great tools that way. farm auctions, closng businesses, etc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic