TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

bearing question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bearing question
    Posted: Jun/05/2015 at 7:45pm
I have an extra set of front wheel bearings and races for my 63 classic. will they also work on the rear of my 63 classic 770 wagon?
Ranger
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2015 at 8:25pm
No
longroof View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2015 at 2:56am
Was the Dana 53 Rear Axle used on the 1963 classic 770 wagon? Not sure how to tell what I have.
Ranger
longroof View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2015 at 3:29am
does anyone know were I can get them?
Ranger
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2015 at 9:27am
Any parts house should be ale to get you rear bearings. If you have a six cylinder it uses an AMC 15 rear axle, the V-8s use an AMC 20. If you're having trouble finding them because the parts house computers don't go back that far, check with American Parts Depot, Kennedy American, or other AMC parts suppliers. APD has them listed for $15 for the bearings and $9 for the races (you need to replace both, and the seals while it's apart).
Frank Swygert
longroof View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2015 at 11:39am
Thanks, I looked at APD, but have to admit it can be a little confusing for me the way they list parts. Is there a hub puller you can recommend? I'll give them a call and Galvin's on Monday. Galvin's is about an two and half hours from my location.
Ranger
longroof View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2015 at 12:03pm
what I can pull from APD is;

race 990 5502B 2ea.
pinion seal 990 6402C 2ea.
Front Bearing 990 5201B 2ea.
Ranger
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2015 at 10:30am
You need wheel bearings on the outer ends of the axle, not pinion bearings, right?. Those would be "rear axle side bearings"

N315 7273  for race
990 4100B  for bearing

They don't have the outer seal listed. They should be readily available. When you pull a seal out get the number off of it. If the parts house can't cross reference the number call a bearing and drive supplier (yellow pages).
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2015 at 10:38am
Pulling the hub...  What I always do is pull the entire axle then press it off the hub with a hydraulic press. That axle has been on there for a long time -- it may not come right off. I've had to leave one in the press under pressure over night. Don't know how long it took for it to pop loose. Set a wood block between a concrete floor and the end of the axle so the steel axle doesn't hit the hard floor. I set the press up so the axle end is only an inch or two from the wood block so it won't fall over when it does pop loose. Make sure the hub is well supported close to the axle so it doesn't warp.

The last time I did one I took the axles with backing plates to a machine shop and let them press the hubs off then the bearings, and press the new bearings on. Didn't cost much and no hassle for me. You have to torque the nuts after the axles are back in the car. It's hard to hold the axles without scaring them while the nuts are torqued to 250 ft/lbs. A 2' pull handle with 125 pounds on the end will equal 250 ft/lbs. If it's a bit tighter it won't hurt a things. You can use an 18" pull handle and stand on the end to tighten the nut and you should be fine for normal driving. If you're not comfortable with that tighten as tight as you can then take it to a shop with a torque wrench capable of 250-300 ft/lb and have them check it.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic