TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bearing on 196 CI engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing on 196 CI engine
    Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 10:54pm
Anyone have information about checking and replacing the lower engine bearings on the 1962 Rambler with the 196 cast iron engine WITHOUT taking the engine out of the car.  I saw some on line videos for changing lower bearings from under the car and wondered if this was possible with this car. 

Car is making loud noise lower in the engine, lifters all looked good. 

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 3:16am
Even if it were possible, which I doubt it is, WHY would you want to? Only replacing half the bearings is kind of like trying to put a Band-Aid over a large gaping wound. The engine is going to hsve to come out so you can see if it's salvageable or not.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 6:52am
You can replace all the bearings,  not just half.   You use a turn out tab,  that goes in the oil hole in the crank to turn out the upper main bearings,  and the same tab to turn the new upper bearing back in.

I've done it myself on a 59 196, in a American,  including upper thrust bearing and upper rear main seal..

But if you wait too long,  there can be damage to the crank too,  and in that case installing new bearings will be just a temporary fix.

How easy it is to do depends on how the engine is supported,  earlier AMC had the engine installed so you could easily remove the oil pan to clean it out.   The engine was supported front and rear,  not by the crossmember.  I don't know if a 62 Rambler is like that or not.

But even if the engine mounts to the crossmember you still can support it with a brace across the inner fender rails, and remove the crossmember, and have easy access to the oil pan.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jul/15/2017 at 7:08am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 10:31am
I think the older TSMs even specify a procedure for doing that although back in the day .001 and .002 oversize bearings were available.  They specified that the bearing closest to standard goes on the top and there was allowable "small" limit between the dimensions of the top and bottom bearing inserts.  If you have a "big" 62 Rambler (Classic with six cylinder) I think it is easier than on the small car but I have not worked on 61 to 63 American so I can't say.  If you have a TSM read it and get some tips.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 5:32pm
it's hard to imagine a case where the bearings are bad and the crank journals are still good, or even OK.

you won't know what size you need until you can mic the crank. even from the factory there were undersize cranks. and it is a very bad bet that a 195.6 OHV that was running in the last decade, even, is unmolested -- four of five 195.6 iv'e disassembled were overbored and cranks turned (though i did not check all cranks).

literally just this weekend, i disassembled by fifth engine, fetched from San Bernadino a few months back, a '65. i just now measured the bore as 3.125", the original factory standard bore, the first i've ever seen.

Edited by tomj - Jul/17/2017 at 12:26am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

PolarBear View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 10:20pm
Thanks everyone, Plan to pull it all the way out and take it apart so I can look things over and replace what is needed. Got the car from a friend who passed away, just got it running. Did not like the noise so want to fix it before more damage is done. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic