TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bearing fitting with Moser axles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing fitting with Moser axles
    Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 7:30am
This is probably covered here somewhere but I've failed to find it.
I have Moser axles coming for my amc20 (69 Javelin) along with a truetrac. I got the axles off Preformance American Style and Randy has shipped them without bearings. He's sent jeep instructions which show a spacer that goes between the inner seal and the bearing but I've never heard these mentioned before. I'm going to use the tapered roller bearings that he suggested, and sells, and this set (timken Set 8 or 9 or something??) comes with just the bearing, race and a press ring - No spacer.
So, how are these bearings set up in a 20 with a truetrac head?
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 7:51am
Hey Stew,
What are doing up so late!   I'm not sure how that set up is going to work.  I'm not sure why you recieived Jeep model 20 instructions and bearing (there is difference- at least according to Moser).  It sounds like the bearing supplied are some sort of alternative that Moser supplies with the axles. The axles direct from Moser come with a sealed for life style bearing. Take measurements of each axle (old and new) to confirm they match.  Measure everything. The lack of the spacer is because you're using a taller bearing and race.  The Moser bearing don't use an independent race, so the spacer is needed to maintain the proper depth/seating. When you go to install the new bearing take a very close look at the various lips inside the outer flange area.  On the last set I installed I had to grind out a 3/4 mm lip to get the axles to seat properly.   

If you still have my direct e-mail, drop me a line.  I'm heading over in October and I may be able to drop by.

mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:29am
Can't sleep so thought I'd do something constructive. Lol
How are things with you? Great to hear from you.

Axles are due next week as far as I know so I'm trying to get all the parts it need. Randy said to use the Timken kit he sells so I'm getting them locally. I heard moser stopped using the roller? Bearings and now recommend the tapered roller setup. He sent instructions via email but they show this spacer. Perhaps it will fall into place once everything arrives.

You heading back to Auckland?
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:51am
Well, just to land then down south to Stewart Island, Invercargill, Christ Church (what's left) .  A few days in the old home town of Wellington for friends wedding. Then up to Devon for a day or two.   Not back for nearly long enough- 10 days on the ground.

Make sure you have access to an excellent shop for pressing the old hubs off so you can used your backing plates.

PS Stop drinking flat whites prior to bed and you'll be able to sleep.Wink

Edited by bbgjc - Aug/28/2013 at 8:55am
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:57am
You should pop by when you're in invercargill. I might need help!
I've got them off and discovered one axle had spun at some stage. I never had issues with it and ive had the car since 1987 so I'm bloody lucky I'd guess.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 8:33pm
I'd really be interested to see Moser axles with tapered roller bearings. That's new to me.

The Moser axles I've installed have a sealed bearing because it's not possible to use the original tapered roller bearings since the bearing race is installed then the backing plate and hub.

The sealed bearing is installed from the spline side then followed by a retainer, that might be the spacer you mention above.

Keep in mind, all the parts like the dust bezel, outer axle seal and backing plate need to go on the axle in the right order BEFORE having the bearing and retainer pressed on. Also, you need to install the inner axle seal as well or else you'll have axle grease weeping past the bearing.

-Steve-

mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 5:43am
As far as I can tell Moser uses both but the current preferred option is the tapered timkens. It was news to me too. That's the reason for this post.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 1:48pm
My understanding is that the manufacture that made the sealed high speed bearing moser used went out of business and they are no longer available. I recently worked on a friends AMX that has has moser axles in it for years and they are the tapered style like a jeep with one piece axles has. I also have a new set of axles on the shelf I bought several years ago that have the sealed high speed bearing with them.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 9:44pm
So what is the go with this set up then?  Do I need these spacers or not?
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 11:12pm
The first few sets of mosers I have had experience with used the sealed "green" bearings which come with the press collars and are wide enough they protrude past the axle housing the required amount. Within the last year I have ordered 3 sets of axles and they came with a timken 9 bearing, its a tapered roller bearing with the cup attached to the cone. Its narrow design is used with a spacer so it sticks out past the housing like the green bearing. The green sealed bearings are still available but only at moser, at least I can't find them anywhere else. To me the timken tapered roller is a big improvent over the regular green roller.
If anyone is wanting to order axles from moser ask for Shane, he is the AMC go to guy there and can give you axles based on measurements, some of the other reps. there can be misleading in telling you there is a difference between jeep and car model 20 axle bearings.
Also if converting to mosers, an easy way to remove the backing plates without pressing off the hubs is to cut the cage off the cone with a pair of side cutter pliers and pry the cage back with a flat head screwdriver, all the rollers will fall out allowing the backing plate to slide off.

Ivan

Edited by Airdrie AMX - Aug/29/2013 at 11:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic