TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Battery size?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 8:55pm
Batteris: There are only 3 companies left: Deka, Exide, and Johnson Controls.  I would only recommend Deka batteries.  Johnson Controls makes most of the Auto Parts store batteries, and they are usually lacking in quality. Even Optima have come down in quality since purchased by Johnson Controls.  Deka makes at least 2 versions of Group 24 battery, I had the higher output I was going to use in 1964 American Convertible, kept the battery when I sold it, and after sitting in my garage for 11 months, and the Carquest(made byJC) battery failing to start my Spirit, I dropped it in, and it started right away.

Also would recommend these products for cleaning and protecting the batteyr terminals:

http://www.grainger.com/product/CRC-Battery-Terminal-Cleaner-2F133?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2F133_AS01?$smthumb$

http://www.grainger.com/product/CRC-Terminal-Protector-2F134?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2F134_AS05?$smthumb$

Never hurts to upgrade the ground on any vehicle, I will be doing this to my Jeep Comanche very soon.

JeepComancher
www.ClassicCustom400.com
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by joe-s joe-s wrote:

Happy turkey day to all my helpers!!! I have yet another new question about the ground cable location. The negative goes to a bolt on the front of the motor, then a different cable goes from there to the top mounting bolt of the idler arm (I think). Is there anything wrong with those locations?
Corrosion happens in all of the cables, and is not always visible.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 5:05pm
Can anyone tell me how the ground cables are in your cars? Mine goes from the battery to the block, then a second cable from the block to the front suspension? I am wondering it that's okay to leave it that way. I don't have any issues with anything not working, except the slow turn over at start up.
67 American 343 5 speed, back to my teenage AMC roots
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by joe-s joe-s wrote:

Can anyone tell me how the ground cables are in your cars? Mine goes from the battery to the block, then a second cable from the block to the front suspension? I am wondering it that's okay to leave it that way. I don't have any issues with anything not working, except the slow turn over at start up.
Is it to a suspension part, or actually to the cross member? Rubber is an insulator, so it should be to the cross member.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 6:53pm
I'm fairly certain it goes to the top bolt holding the idler arm. If I need to move it, where on the cross member would it go?
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2015 at 7:23pm
Look for a hole on top  by the inner fender.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 8:39am
The top bolt of the idler arm is fine. It just needs to be somewhere on the body, not the engine. You need a ground from the battery to the block for the starter. Then you need a cable from the block to the body for the rest of the electrical system. Anywhere below the motor mounts is fine. I've seen them on many different places. Some cars use a bare braided strap from and engine block motor mount bolt to a crossmember motor mount bolt, just jumping the rubber mount. Unless you're concerned about being 100% factory in appearance location doesn't matter as long as it's a good connection. 
Frank Swygert
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 9:17pm
Is it okay that it goes to a common bolt? My battery cable goes to the front of the block, and then the other cable goes from there to the idler bolt?
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 3:35am
It will be fine. The engine is mounted on rubber to stop vibration but also has the starter motor attached that needs high current. As electricity cannot pass through rubber and the rest of the car needs a ground as well there needs to be 2 points of attachment. I hope this makes sense. Just make sure the connections are clean and tight. Don't connect to something painted or covered in grease.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2015 at 5:39am
Yes, both cables can be attached to the same bolt on the engine.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic