TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Battery size?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2015 at 9:53pm
Also change the silanoid, and the cable going to starter. That was what wrong with mine.
69 "GO PACK AMX"
73 Javelin 43,000 mile,origanl SURVIVOR
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2004 Dodge 1500 Rumble Bee
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 6:04am
Get oversize cables while you're at it. Cost isn't much more, and a larger cable will more easily carry juice to the starter. I have larger ones on mine. Same as a larger water hose will carry a bit more volume of water, or the same volume passes through with less pressure.  Remember, amps equate to quantity used, volts equate to pressure, and both are tied to each other. To pull more amps volts have to increase, or wire size has to increase (to pull more amps with the same voltage). Since you can't increase voltage, increase wire size so starter can pull more amps. I know this is oversimplified, but should be easily understandable. 
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 6:29am
What brand starter? If the Ford type I seem to remember a possible problem with them could be that if that clank down plate goes down too far it can drag on the armature.

BTW I am amazed by this that the Prestolite starter in my 64 is original and the Ford motorcraft battery I am using is going into its 19th year of service. I just started it up after a few weeks rest to move it to its winter resting place and it still cranks like crazy.
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 6:44pm
I have not taken a look at the starter itself, but I thought it was a ford type, since the solenoid is on the fender.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 6:47pm
I can believe the starter vinny, but are you sure that battery has been in there for 19 years? That is utterly AMAZING!!
Frank Swygert
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 7:23pm
If you have a good starter rebuilder in your area; ask that Hi-Torque windings be installed.
Mike
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 3:59am
I bought this Ford that was built IIRC in Oct or at the latest Nov 97 at auction when it was only six months old. Some years later I needed a battery for the Rambler, so thinking its battery was almost done, put the new one into the Windstar. After putting a piece of plywood in the Rambler battery box to accommodate the larger Motorcraft battery, in it went. By my calculations that is 18 years just done and going into its nineteenth year. Not too often that a battery outlasts the car. I doubt that vehicle that my wife hated like none other is still on the road.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Get oversize cables while you're at it. Cost isn't much more, and a larger cable will more easily carry juice to the starter. I have larger ones on mine. Same as a larger water hose will carry a bit more volume of water, or the same volume passes through with less pressure.  Remember, amps equate to quantity used, volts equate to pressure, and both are tied to each other. To pull more amps volts have to increase, or wire size has to increase (to pull more amps with the same voltage). Since you can't increase voltage, increase wire size so starter can pull more amps. I know this is oversimplified, but should be easily understandable. 
In addition, I always recommend not to just get larger wires but better quality wires. Multiple strand wire will be much more flexible and have much more surface area to carry power.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 11:22am
Happy turkey day to all my helpers!!! I have yet another new question about the ground cable location. The negative goes to a bolt on the front of the motor, then a different cable goes from there to the top mounting bolt of the idler arm (I think). Is there anything wrong with those locations?
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2015 at 11:54am
My 70 AMX only has the grounds to the block and the motor mount to the engine crossmember
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic