TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Battery size?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2015 at 10:19am
Load test the battery. that will tell you if its good or not. then go from there.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2015 at 12:04pm
If the cables look old and you don't know when they have been changed, or if, I'd change them anyway. Just good preventive maintenance.
Frank Swygert
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2015 at 4:42pm
Sounds like good advice.... I will have to dig up my meter and check the voltage. The cables are new, and the connections LOOK okay. I'll let you know what I find. Thx
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2015 at 6:58pm
Load testing can be done on the car and does not require carrying the battery some where.
Once again take out your $10.00 meter (or free) and check the batter voltage, that 12.6 or close to it should be there before the engine is started. Then turn on the heater blower motor, the head lights and put them on high beam and any other electrical load you can think of that is easily done by turning on a switch and hook that meter back up. If that 12.6 is heading for the seller and the battery connections are good, then the odds are the battery is looking at the end of it's life. But if they are holding fairly steady and you have some help, once you check the voltage try to start the car while the meter is still hooked to the battery and all those things are still on. The car should start and the battery voltage not be under 8 volts while it is trying to.

And as to the battery connections? Remove them and clean them. Those from the battery and the other end, the one bolted to the engine and the other to the starter.
And while you are down there doing that verify that the large gauge wire that goes from the engine block to the body right around the passenger side engine mount is there and in good condtion.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2015 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Load testing can be done on the car and does not require carrying the battery some where.
Once again take out your $10.00 meter (or free) and check the batter voltage, that 12.6 or close to it should be there before the engine is started. Then turn on the heater blower motor, the head lights and put them on high beam and any other electrical load you can think of that is easily done by turning on a switch and hook that meter back up. If that 12.6 is heading for the seller and the battery connections are good, then the odds are the battery is looking at the end of it's life. But if they are holding fairly steady and you have some help, once you check the voltage try to start the car while the meter is still hooked to the battery and all those things are still on. The car should start and the battery voltage not be under 8 volts while it is trying to.

And as to the battery connections? Remove them and clean them. Those from the battery and the other end, the one bolted to the engine and the other to the starter.
And while you are down there doing that verify that the large gauge wire that goes from the engine block to the body right around the passenger side engine mount is there and in good condtion.
That's provided you have the load tester with you.   and battery voltage should not be under 9.6 volts. 8 is way too low.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2015 at 2:34pm

[/QUOTE] That's provided you have the load tester with you.   and battery voltage should not be under 9.6 volts. 8 is way too low.[/QUOTE]

You don't need a load tester, there are plenty loads built into the car and you use them. And the voltage you get will depend on the load used at the time it is being used and 9.6 is only one value that may show up depending on the load, but if it is lower than 8 no mater what the load is suspect the battery. I suspect but don't know for sure but 9.6 might be a number a specific piece of test equipment has as a result. When using the loads a car has available to be used, 8 volts is a perfectly legitimate number to go by.

Edited by uncljohn - Nov/09/2015 at 2:37pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2015 at 6:36pm
Okay, went out with my meter and here are the results.

Checked battery voltage with motor off....12.8 v

Started the car, started after 3 tries, voltage dropped to 10.8v

When car started, voltage went up to 14.85v

If the starter was bad, wouldn't the voltage drop much lower?

What else can cause it to turn over slower than I think is normal?

I have no idea what the compression is, not sure if it was originally a 4 bbl or 2 bbl.

If the timing is advanced too far, would that make it turn over slower?

Thx
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2015 at 8:49am
When you measured 10.8V, was that while the engine was cranking? If you measured while the engine was cranking, that sounds reasonable to me. If you cranked it over a couple off time, then stopped to measure the battery, the battery seems weak and barely able to hold a charge. Get it load tested to be sure.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2015 at 6:50pm
The 10.8v was while cranking. I guess since all of the readings seem to indicate that the battery, cables and charging system SEEMS okay. I still wonder why the motor is turning over what I consider slower than normal?
joe-s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2015 at 7:53pm
Just an update, I took the battery out and had it load tested at Batteries plus. It checked out to be very good. I'm going to put new cables on, as the old ones are the type where you cut the cover off the cable and put it under metal clamps. I'm going to get the one piece type. If it still runs the battery down I have to assume its the starter making it turn over slower than I think it should.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic