TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Baffle not included..........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baffle not included..........
    Posted: May/21/2018 at 8:12pm
The more I drove the 73 the more I was sure it "used oil" - I mean like a quart every two or three hundred miles. Oddly, it does NOT smoke a lick, black or blue, and the plugs look white and clean save for one that's a bit tan and there's no oily look to them. In fact, several of them looked like new, the rest simply looked lightly used and I saw no red flags. But last time I had to add oil it took over a quart and that was about a hundred miles ago and it's already down almost a half quart.
I knew it leaked. Heck, I have to keep cardboard under it to keep the oil off the floor and I found one of the sources - the front intake seal was slipped out a bit - the ridge in the middle of the "rubber" seal was totally showing and the engine was wet from there down and it appeared that the fan was spreading it back. The corner of the engine was also really grimy.
Hey, can't be that much effort and time to pull an aluminum intake and reseal it, right?
Well all that linkage and two carbs does make it a bit more effort, but still I had it off in short order.
I had a feeling I would also find something else - or rather NOT find something else. I redid the PCV hose because it was old and brittle and cracked and it seemed the line was a bit oily inside. Even the line I put in place to replace the old cruddy one, I pulled to reshape it a bit and it seemed oily for no longer than it was in place.
YUP, pulled the intake off and tipped it over on the bench - no baffle at all. 
but wow was it clean in the valley and the bottom of the intake was really clean.

It's a shame they powder coated that intake - powder coating stains really badly with gas over time and this intake was really not very silver and was a lot tan and brown (the crabs are crappy, what can I say)

So now I'm trying to remove the crappy looking powder coating from the intake. 
What a job. I'd have had that intake back on and the car running again in an afternoon if not for finding no baffle and wanting to get that cruddy looking powder coating off.
Why would someone powder coat an intake? It's not gas resistant and stains. It's wonderful - I love powder coating and do i myself and have done a ton of parts but would not do an intake where gas can sit in the low areas and stain it brown. It's bad enough trying to keep bare aluminum intakes clean looking if your carbs dribble at all.

The engine is cleaned up and ready for an intake - the heads all cleaned and wiped down with acetone, the block at the valley is cleaned up and wiped down with acetone to remove all traces of sealer and oil, etc.
Just need to clean that intake up and remove the powder - at least most of it - so the intake looks ok. I may end up pulling it again next winter to do a better job - I have no real time to do it right this time around - never figured on removing powder so I'm already several hours behind for the week (and this is the car I hope I can take to GAD)

Didn't the baffles have some mesh in the PCV area? Neither of the ones I have have any of the mesh in them. (I have one of each shape so was lucky I had one that will fit this intake)

Edited by billd - May/21/2018 at 8:28pm
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 10:08pm
I don't recall seeing mesh in the PCV Baffles, I handled maybe 6 or 8 of them and
saw 2 types, an early "Flat" Type and a later "Domed" Type, for Intake EGR Cavity clearance I think.
Did that intake require the later "Domed" Type PCV Baffle ?
Attached using the "Drive-Rivets" ?
Would imagine there will be a considerable oil use difference...
Safe trip to Ohio, supposed to be a nice day there on Friday.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 10:25pm
Here is one of the two I have - this is the type that will fit this intake perfectly - and yes, drive screws. I have two sizes - the original as used on cast and then slightly larger ones as used on the R4B. I believe this baffle is from the R4B I used to have (and wish I had kept - oh, well)

Anyway, this one fits, and there's no mesh or screen or "filter", just the sheet metal baffle.

Thanks - rain predicted here for Wednesday and Thursday - I'll be taking off early Thursday. 

Bottom of intake and bottom of baffle ->

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 12:22am
I to have had a few of them apart and never seen any mesh in any of them
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 2:37am
The baffles I have taken off before with brand x intakes had steel wool inside. If you want something in there you can also use metal brillo pad.

We would take the baffle off before sending the intake out to be media blasted then replace the steel wool with new when putting the baffle back on.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 6:52am
I've had a few apart and the later baffled ones had no mesh but early ones for the most part did.
As memory serves, the mesh was heavier wire then steel wool and formed like a pad, but I thought they were a lower grade SS. 302 possibly - just slightly magnetic.
I think about 71 or 72 the mesh started to disappear? Maybe about the same time the EGR was added to the factory intakes. 

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 7:07am
Bill,

I am glad your taking care of this issue. Now we can all safely say that you are truly baffled....... LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
2Busy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 10:13am
Bill,
Just curious, if you look in the intake ports what do the valves look like? When I changed intake manifolds, I found that I had been running without a baffle also. The underside of the manifold was clean as you have reported, but the intake valve stems had a pretty good layer of black buildup on them, I assume from the motor ingesting excessive oil vapor for some time.
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 9:21am
I feel your pain I finally got my car running from a rebuild done in the 80s got it started in the garage and was using oil. Found out it had no baffle or Valley pan and it was supposed to be a good Speed Shop that rebuilt my motor
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 10:03am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Here is one of the two I have - this is the type that will fit this intake perfectly - and yes, drive screws. I have two sizes - the original as used on cast and then slightly larger ones as used on the R4B. I believe this baffle is from the R4B I used to have (and wish I had kept - oh, well)

Anyway, this one fits, and there's no mesh or screen or "filter", just the sheet metal baffle.

Thanks - rain predicted here for Wednesday and Thursday - I'll be taking off early Thursday. 

Bottom of intake and bottom of baffle ->

You sold me the r4b. Do you want it back still in the box you shipped it in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic