TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bad Combo? 360 Intake, Carb, Cam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Combo? 360 Intake, Carb, Cam
    Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 2:43am
So I'm getting a barely used Holley Street Avenger 770 for a really good price off of Craigslist. I've always run Edelbrocks, Carter AFBs, and Quadrajets, so I'm excited to become a Holley guru and add that skill set to my toolbox. This will be going on my .060 over 360 with a new Edelbrock Performer Plus Cam and lifters I got for free and stock heads with mild port work and roller rockers.

Here's the issue I'm not liking: the intake I have for this motor is the SP2P. Those runners are tiny. Dialing in this carb on top of that baby intake is going to be interesting. I'm not so sure I like that Eddy cam for this either. I have the same cam in the 360 in my J20 with the Performer intake and Eddy 1406 carb and it's great for the truck. It just seems I'm gonna be missing out on so much potential with this mismatched setup in the Javelin.

The thing is, I'm really on a tight budget after finalizing an adoption recently and am in a time crunch to get this car on the road in time to move back to the mainland from Hawaii. I want to get it running and driving but don't want to do the work only to be unhappy and be redoing it again in the next year or two.

I want the impossible: Best performance in no time with next to no money. And in Hawaii where shipping is high and AMC parts support is low.

Suggestions???
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 3:07am
I definitely can't afford the dual plane Offy intake, but I might could swing the Edelbrock air gap. I just need to find the right cam for that combo. BTW, I'm gonna be running a Chevy TH350 with 2200 stall converter. I'm gonna have to double check on the rear end. I know the gears are stock though. It was a 2bbl 290 car. And tires will be 215/60R15. I'm working overnight tonight, but I think I'll play with the CamQuest program when I get home tomorrow and see what I'm looking at for cams. Any suggestions on intake and/or cam would be appreciated.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 3:17am
My mind says get a big solid roller cam, Indy heads, and Torker intake, but my wallet and practical side just laughs...
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 8:11am
I would say at the vary least run a Performer intake to match the cam as that sp2p intake will be too small and really choke the air intake down.

A Air Gap intake and a little larger cam would be nice but with no money or time that may be out.
I would say if you are going to buy a different intake go fo a air gap as it works off idle to think 6500. Yea the cam may not work to 6500 but when time & money come your way you will already have the carb & intake for it. I only said the perfomer above because 1 matches cam, 2 here on the main land they are all over the place used and may find one there?
Good luck
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 8:44am
I think using free parts that you have no idea what the specifications are when it comes to the cam and parts that may or may not be important depending what the parts are spec'ed for a rear axle ratio you do not know what it is and an unknown Holly carburetor that you have never used before and for what ever it is worth I personally would not use in the first place with no clearly stated objective of what you want out of the engine, it is going to be quite hard to suggest anything that might be compatible with your unspecified  use for the thing.
If you are building a low budget street engine it is hard to go wrong with the following.
Something like an Iskenderian 270HL or it's equivalent with a lift under 1/2 inch which pretty much works with OEM AMC valve train with out a problem, an air gap type manifold which gets the heat out of the intake and makes the tune more stable unless you will be driving where it gets a lot colder than it is in Hawaii and maybe the manifold you have is going to be just fine for a street driven car and as the Edelbrock performer manifold according to stories heard for years was basically designed for a 304 OEM replacement application with the primary objective to get the weight off of the engine, that is the last manifold I would ever want to spend money on to the point where I sold a brand new one that I picked up on a deal to help pay for an "Air Gap" which I have no complaints with at all and for Street use any of the Edelrbock/ Carter AFB's at about 650 cfm work out of the box with no problems.  They are almost a bullet proof recipe for motoring.
But! Your car, your money and your choices. I have two engines built that way and getting ready to build a third.  You will like the versatility of the 2200 rpm stall torque converter. I like it even better when the transmission is new enough to be a lock up torque converter. I have a 904 set up that way and a 700R4 and it works quite well.

Edited by uncljohn - Mar/07/2014 at 8:47am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
imacarfan2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 9:51am
I'm thinking that for a cheap combo, find a used Performer intake for around $100-$125 and get the small Summit cam/lifter combo (K8600) for $118. This would be a decent and inexpensive combo. Add a gasket set and you're probably in for about $250 total.

Also, you probably have 2.87 gears in your Javelin. You *might* have 3.15s, but that's about the deepest stock gear in a 290/auto car. 

Oh, congrats on the adoption! Our daughters are twins from China!
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 10:44am
My motto is, if it's for free, it's for me.

I'd run what I have. If you lived close, I'd trade you a Performer intake for the SP2P. Then you'd "step up" for free.

The Eddy cam you have is of better quality than the scummit atleast. I own both brands in Chebby versions.

I'm done racing and don't care to break the speed limit by much anymore, so a SP2P would fit my needs.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 10:59am
I hear you on the used Performer intake. It's just not a likely option from Hawaii. I may very well swap intakes with the Performer in my truck though. Or I can get a new one with free shipping from Amazon. Then at least my cam and intake will be "matched".

I'm at the end of a 24 hour shift without sleep and my brain was just going 90mph late last night on coffee and no sleep. I was running through a million possibilities all costing big $ after I clearly stated my intention of not spending big $. The root of my questions and concerns really is just how restrictive those SP2P runners are with a 770cfm carb on top. I really appreciate all of the good advice though.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 11:01am
The SP2P might be adequate on a 304, but I think you're gonna be disappointed with it on a 360...unless your carb and cam are matched to it.

I think you'd be happier with a Performer [or an equivalent manifold].
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 11:10am
I run a performer intake with a comp 268H cam in the 360 in my AMX. I use the 670 Street Avenger Holley, auto and 2.87 rear. Best at the track with PS, PB and AC all hooked up was a 14.3 @ 96mph. That 770 might be too much carb for your combo and keep in mind it is not a double pumper etc. and the secondaries will open only when vacuum allows it.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic