TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AZ road racer project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Javelin74 Javelin74 wrote:

Very nice!  That could be an option to have the wipers be removable down the road.  I'll keep that in mind.  The pedals/linkage/etc, will all be stock style for now.  Again, I saw how Richards set up the floor mount pedals. 

I kind of liked that, so that may be an option for me down the road, but I generally like the mechanical clutch linkage with a centerforce.  If I need more clutch for some reason, the hydraulic will probably come into the picture.  Its supposed to hit 105 in PHX today and the foot is still swelling up if I sit up or stand for over an hour so I'll probably have to write this weekend off in term of getting work done so I'll have to live vicariously through your project at least one more week...good luck!!!

I'll go with hanging pedals; they'll be mounted to my dash bar.  If you go with floor mounted pedals, you have to make sure that the floor is strong enough in that area, otherwise, you'll torque it too much during heavy braking.

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 6:15pm
looking good Dan.  Can't wait to see this thing finished!  Clap

btw, my car is running again and I'm signed up for the Oct. Buttonwillow race!

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 6:28pm
Thanks, Asif.  I'm really glad to hear you got the AI car back up and running!!!  Good luck out there in October!
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 11:23pm
As the knee slowly starts to loosen up and work, I'm finding it easier to tackle some projects again.  The fact that we are out of our 100+ degree days helps quite a bit, too!  So I pulled out the grinder and welder and finished boxing and painting the lowers and welding braces to the upper arms and got them painted as well.  Also got around to sqeezing the new urethane bushings in...well, all except one on the upper that is hangin up a bit on the old bushing shell.  I'll deal with that guy tomorrow and start prepping the engine compartment for paint.  Once that's done, I can start putting the front end together and I should have enough strength in my knee/leg that I can hump the crank around and begin assembling the 360...ok, I'm getting ahead of myself.  Here's the update on what got done today...pay no mind to the amateur welding, again.

bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 10:03am
Dan - 

Looks good from here.  My lowers have been done for a while (really nice TIG welds by Jeff Puras) but I need to do something to the uppers.  How thick are your braces?

Thanks

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 1:08pm
I just used some 1/8" by 2" material you can pick up pretty much at anyplace like HomeDepot/Lowes/Ace, etc...  A little tricky getting a good angle on the grinder and welding gun since the space is tight if the bushing shells are still in but some planning as you groom the braces will make that job easier.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 8:04am
What's on the agenda for the weekend?  Prepping engine compartment for paint?  If so, I may be in the same boat.  What's your plan for that?  I have a new DeVilbiss gun that I'm itching to use, but have zero experience painting.
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 9:43am
Bingo!  I started some sanding on the engine compartment this week and hope to have all the prep done by next week.  I still want to get some type of caulk/sealant into the little nooks and crannies around where the roll cage goes into the passenger compartment, but I haven't figured out what to use for that just yet. 
For painting itself, I have an old conventional gun I used to spray the blue car (single stage enamel, about 15 years ago.  That was my first time spraying a car), but I did pickup a HVLP gun setup to use this time.  Just a set from Harbor Freight.  I'm planning on use a single stage urethane this time.  Best tip, most simple tip I could give a novice is to have something you can test the gun on to get a feel for how it sprays and setting your spray pattern up.  I've never really heard of a magic bullet sollution for being a good painter other than "practice, practice, practice."  But if you're patient and have done good prep, you'll end up with a good looking product.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Javelin74 Javelin74 wrote:

Bingo!  I started some sanding on the engine compartment this week and hope to have all the prep done by next week.  I still want to get some type of caulk/sealant into the little nooks and crannies around where the roll cage goes into the passenger compartment, but I haven't figured out what to use for that just yet. 
For painting itself, I have an old conventional gun I used to spray the blue car (single stage enamel, about 15 years ago.  That was my first time spraying a car), but I did pickup a HVLP gun setup to use this time.  Just a set from Harbor Freight.  I'm planning on use a single stage urethane this time.  Best tip, most simple tip I could give a novice is to have something you can test the gun on to get a feel for how it sprays and setting your spray pattern up.  I've never really heard of a magic bullet sollution for being a good painter other than "practice, practice, practice."  But if you're patient and have done good prep, you'll end up with a good looking product.

I'm also in need of seam sealer; figured I'd pick some up from Napa or Advance Auto.

Thanks for the tips on painting.  I still need to do a bit more reading up on it before I pull the trigger.

Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 3:50pm
Can I get some more info on your front suspension QA1's?
I'm looking into coilovers for my street/strip/track 73 amx
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic